Genealogy Software

bremner 17:53 29 Sep 09

I now have some time on my hands and have decided to research my family.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a Genealogy Software package and any advice on good practice or highlight any pitfalls.

Thanks

Newuser38 19:56 29 Sep 09

If you do a search in Speakers Corner for Genealogy there at leat 2 threads that will give you plenty to think about.

VCR97 20:25 29 Sep 09

Also try "Family history". Three in Speakers' Corner.

P1d 12:43 01 Oct 09

Personally I use Family Tree Maker, there are others out there but I prefer FTM, I like the charts it produces and its ease of use.

I also subscribe to BBC's Who Do You think You Are Magazine. The cd usually contains some useful information for example a months free access to 1901 census. A month isn't a long time but it can get you up and running.

Also, it depends which area you are researching in. My brother is researching my mum's side of the family who are English however I'm doing my wife's family who are Scottish so the records are in different places.

Also, if there are any adoptions in the family before 1927 it's a little harder to trace as adoption records only started in 1927.

If you click here this will give you a good starting point.

Also, if you click here you will find a few useful forms which help with recording family information.

My last recommendation would be to write everything down, bookmark all sites you think might be useful, even if it's only one thing as it's harder to remember months down the line!!!

Hopefully this has given you some help.

P1d

Woolwell 12:51 01 Oct 09

I've tried a number of programs and have settled on Family Historian click here

bremner 17:02 01 Oct 09

Thanks to all for the suggestions

jellyhead 20:31 01 Oct 09

If you don't want to pay any money on software to start with, you could always try this click here

bremner 21:58 01 Oct 09

Thanks - a few years ago I went to the LDS centre in Salt Lake City and visited their genealogy facility.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…