Gateway 21" HD Monitor & HD monitors in general

Duke1985 15:39 01 Feb 06

Hi, I've been looking into monitors, wanting to get a nice high definition one. I also like the idea of monitors that rotate from portrait to landscape and visa versa so that whole documents can be viewed at once.

I discovered this fantasitc machine, with great reviews, which does all this and more: the Gateway 21" HD FPD2185W. However, to my horror this machine is not available in the UK.

I was curious if anyone knows if this will soon change? Is it worth getting someone to buy me one in america as I assume the (only 1 year) warranty won't count for the Gateway Company in the UK?

I have also been musing about high definition. Does this simply mean that a machine must have an 8ms or faster refresh rate, be widescreen with a HD input and possess 720 or more vertical lines? In which case some monitors that do not support the HD logo (which I think they have to pay for) are in fact HD ready.

Also (sorry for the endless stream of questions) am I being an idiot wanting the screen to rotate? I have found what look like HD specificiation monitors that do not rotate for a reasonable price, but wanting the 'perfect' machine I did not consider them (Philips 20" 200W6CS).

Cheers,
Rich

Duke1985 16:30 01 Feb 06

I've just discovered that what really makes a HD-ready monitor is that it must be High Definition Content Protocal compliant. This means that some copy protection goes with the signal and only a compliant HD-ready monitor will be able to show the information!

Or at least I think so.

So does anyone think I should get the Gateway or is there an HD monitor for around the same specification out in the UK?

doc999 17:11 01 Feb 06

Er, is it the same Gateway gateway pc's) that went bust a few years back & based in Eire.

If so don't touch it!

anskyber 17:48 01 Feb 06

Yes HD is a monitor that complies with the requirements for HD Broadcasting eg as Sky will do from spring this year. That is rather different to HD for computer monitors, I think the term is more loosely used for PCs for those screens with a DVI input as well as analogue.

anskyber 17:50 01 Feb 06

HD for TVs protocol click here

Mr Mistoffelees 18:33 01 Feb 06

Gateway are an American company whose European base was in Eire. They did not go bust, they just pulled out of Europe, and now they are back.

doc999 10:12 02 Feb 06

Sorry, forgot they pulled out, just remember all those punters who's warranty's went south, oh and of course the shops taking orders up to 1 hour before they closed down!

Nowadays thats called good business practice.

the_godson 20:34 13 Dec 06

Comet (Bristol) has just got the 21" Gateway WS Monitor FDP2185W - £299.99 ..

The Godson

skeletal 21:05 13 Dec 06

Consider this Samsung: click here

I have just bought one and I think it is wonderful. However, it is a bit on the expensive side. You can get them for about £400 if you look:

click here

Skeletal

Mr Mistoffelees 21:15 13 Dec 06

Over ten months after the thread was started, are you not just a tad late with your recommendations? :-)

skeletal 09:27 14 Dec 06

Mr Mistoffelees: Crikey!! I never look at the dates of postings...I just spot something I may be able to help/comment and post. Funnily enough, I've just spotted another oldish thread that has reappeared.

Mind you, at my age, 10 months is only 10 minutes so it's not too bad!!!

Skeletal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now