Gates says Longhorn is "a bit scary"

powerless 23:21 25 Jul 03

Brilliant!

Just what you want to hear from Mr. Microsoft himself.

"...but early versions of the product have leaked to the internet." - Hmmm, well i've only seen some screenshots and lots and lots of writing. But in my opinion Longhorn looks good.

Can't wait till we hear "should i upgrade?" hmmm...

Sir Radfordin 00:01 26 Jul 03

This one seems to be a bit more of a new way of working than just an upgrade.

Upgrade suggests doing the same things in a better way. A new way would suggest we will change how we work.

XP has done some of that already (grouping on taskbar, no BSODs, system restore etc) Longhorn could have a much bigger impact on the way we intereact with a PC.

He's just buidling some hype anyway :))

Forum Editor 00:03 26 Jul 03

he meant the kind of spine-tingling scary that comes with experiencing something amazing - it's all part of the Microsoft hype machine gearing itself up for a very major Windows release sometime in 2005.

Longhorn will not even go to beta until early in 2004 and trying to make any kind of accurate assessment of it now would be pretty pointless. What is certain at this stage is that it will be a graphics lover's dream, and there will be an awful lot more. I can't wait to get my hands on the beta.

powerless 00:25 26 Jul 03

I can't wait to get my hands on the beta.

OK, how would i do that? Do i stand a chance?

Of course there'll be millions of others like me but still might as well try.

Forum Editor 06:57 26 Jul 03

You can apply to Microsoft, and try to convince them that you would be the right kind of person to test a beta 1 version. Beta 1 versions are not normally generally available because they are fairly full of bugs, and are devoid of things like help files. In addition, many features which appear on the menus will not be present. A Beta 1 version would not be at all suitable for running on a machine that you use as your prime computer, so you'll need a spare 'non mission-critical' machine.

Be warned though - you'll be joining an enormous queue, and my advice would be to wait for the 'public' beta to be released late in 2004/early 2005 (provided Microsoft run to their projected time-frame).

TechMad 10:20 27 Jul 03

Don't worry Powerless, Beta versions dressed as final editions can be widely found. How do you think people got Windows ME.

TechMad 10:25 27 Jul 03

Start saving! The system requirements are probably going to be very heavy. Try click here for new developments.

-pops- 11:04 27 Jul 03

Every word that Gates utters is part of a very carfully planned marketing exercise.

powerless 11:21 27 Jul 03

From a business POV you would you agree thats he's very clever? ;-)

-pops- 11:32 27 Jul 03

Oh yes, indeed he is! No-one more so quite likely!!

spuds 13:09 27 Jul 03

Talking "a bit scary" about Longhorn. I have just installed XP Pro on my machine, which I am trying to get my head around.Why did I convert from WM98SE and WME (;o(.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…