Garden fountain pump care

anniesboy 08:33 26 Jul 10

I'm about to install a millstone bubbler fountain,I have no knowledge regarding pump care in winter,should the pump be removed or what?

961 09:07 26 Jul 10

Yes it certainly needs to be removed during any danger of freezing as do any filter boxes etc

wiz-king 13:06 26 Jul 10

If it's a submersed pump you can leave it running providing the pump is well below the surface, the water will keep the surface ice broken/melted in a small area and allow any build up of decomposition gasses to escape.
You will need to clean the pump filter a couple of times a year but wait till late spring when the water has warmed up a bit!

Zurdo 16:15 26 Jul 10

see click here
Google is your friend!

Forum Editor 18:02 26 Jul 10

all through the winter, provided it is in a reasonable depth of water, as wiz-king says. The problem with fountains isn't usually the pump, it's the fountain itself. If the volume of water being pumped is small, and the surface area over which it flows is great - as in a mill-stone bubbler - there's a risk of the water freezing, and not falling back into the reservoir/pool. The pump will then empty its own reservoir and run dry, and that means goodbye to your pump.

morddwyd 07:20 27 Jul 10

"it's the fountain itself."

Particularly if two damned woodpigeons perch on one side ate the same time and topple it into the pond, as happened to mine yesterday!

Best I make it a bit more stable.

anniesboy 08:31 27 Jul 10

Thanks for the replies.
I wont have problems with the millstone toppling ,as it weighs 47 kilos.sitting it over the reservoir will be a challenge.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac