Gaming PCs - Where to start?

rjparkin 20:10 19 May 08

Hi

I've decided that it's time to replace my 4 year old PC with something a bit more modern. I'm finally in a position that I can afford to buy a new gaming PC and have about £1000 to spend (doesn't have to include a monitor).

So off I went to some of the gaming PC websites only soon to realise "I haven't got a clue". Processors, graphics card etc so many to pick from with no really idea how good each one is or how long they will last.

Any advice on where to start is much appreciated.

Although I thinking I should just stick to console gaming, you know where you stand with that.

Thanks

Richard

citadel 21:16 19 May 08

core 2 duo or quad, preferably the latest 45mm series starting e8 or q9, eg. e8400 q9450
4g ram
graphics 8800gt 512 or 8800gts 512 or the latest 9800gtx

I find this site click here invaluable for comparing components against each other.

Just go through them and get the best you can afford. The graphics card is the most vital component to a gaming machine and with your budget I wouldn't settle for anything less than a Nvidia 8800GT but you should be able to get a better card still.

Intel currently dominate the CPU market and a processor from the Core 2 Duo 8000 range would be good. If you look at the CPU chart on the link I gave, you have may to click "show all products" at the bottom to see most of them.

Plenty of RAM is also a must, at least 2GB but consider 4GB as RAM is relatively cheap. Check the prices click here as it is often much cheaper to upgrade the RAM yourself rather than paying the manufacturer. (It's just a case off slotting additional sticks into the motherboard).

Get a spacious hard drive, look for something in excess of 500GB. Hard drives aren't too expensive so this shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck and remember to search for reviews of the supplier before you place your for piece of mind.

last line should read "...place you ORDER for piece of mind"

Gamer555 22:06 19 May 08

Try cyber power systems click here they have some decent PC's on there.

For a grand you can get a real good gaming PC. You ideally want to be getting...

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 or Core 2 Duo E8400. Both brilliant CPU's. E8400 is more overclockable, however.

2 or 4 gigs of DDR2 or even DDR3 RAM. Go for at least 800Mhz. Personally i'd go for 1066MHz for maximum speed!

8800gts 512mb/8800gtx or if you want REAL performance the 9800GX2! All good graphics cards, that will play most games at high settings and resolutions. The 9800GX" is the mother of all gpu's and will play anything maxed out at 1920 x 1200. (bar Crysis)

Also a decent Hard Drive, 750gb Samsung F1. Fast and reliable. Better than the expensive and noisy Raptor's.

That lot should be had for within your £100 budget.

Have you though about building yourself? Save yourself a few quid?

rjparkin 22:30 19 May 08

Thanks for the information, I will look at it in more detail tomorrow.

As for building my own PC Gamer555, I'm relunctant as I'm worried I'm going to screw something up. Once I'm happy with the spec I want I'll compare prices and see if its worth having ago myself.

sean-278262 23:34 19 May 08

rjparkin - it is unlikely you will "screw something up" because 100s of people make their computer up themselves every day. Many of them taking it as their first time. It is a well worth it exercise. I helped a friend last year to do so and he enjoyed the experience. Plenty of guides exist on the internet plus if something goes pop one day it is often the case that you can just go out and get a new part to tide you over till a replacement comes. Much better than the 2week wait to send the machine back to base to be repaired under warranty.

Another point that hasnt been touched on yet is the fact you can specify the machine to your requirements rather than taking what someone tells you is what you want. Dont have a use for a 750 drive... cut money here and spend it elsewhere type affair. It can often mean you get a PC as you want it that will perform in the areas you want it to.

GaT7 23:49 19 May 08

Agree with Astec123. And as Gamer555 suggests, these days it's usually cheaper to self-build too. G

sean-278262 00:33 20 May 08

Though it should be noted that the savings are not usually that huge. Usually only around £50 or so but saying that you could spend that money adding a nice sound card or the like, or spend it getting vista ultimate over premium etc.

Armchair 20:16 20 May 08

My motherboard and CPU are five years old now. I've upgraded the graphics and RAM, but it's a bit stale now, lol. I decided not to go with a new PC, though, and settled for a cheapo Xbox 360. Only real drawback is that I don't like using the gamepad for first person shooters, so I don't bother with them. Very good apart from that. End of ramble.

Devil Fish 22:51 20 May 08

gamer 555 were did you get your info the 9800GX2 is bareley bench marking better than the 8800gtx according to reviews in a respected gaming mag

Armchair oh dear you become one of those console fan boys FPS will be lost forever you cannot play an fps on a game pad its just ere well plain rude! and its not as responsive as keyboard and mouse

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac