Gaming PC for £900

Burgess007 21:35 29 Aug 10

I'm looking to buy a good gaming PC for £900.
I have no technical abilities or knowledge and I'd appreciate any ideas and explanations as to what to look for in RAM, processor, hard drive etc.

Thanks in advance

citadel 22:29 29 Aug 10

graphics card hd5870, i5 cpu, 4g memory,

Why wont it work 22:42 29 Aug 10

I don't think you would go wrong with the above suggestion really. But to elaborate further, for a gaming pc in that price range I would be looking for:

Processor: Intel Core i5 (7xx series) or i7 (8xx or 9xx series). OR, AMD Phenom II X4 or X6 (any model above 3ghz is powerful enough).

GPU: ATI Radeon 5770/5850/5870 (the latter two being considerably more powerful than the former). OR, Nvidia 460/470 (I expect the 480 would be too expensive).

RAM: Anything above 4GB really. (Intel Core i7 9xx processors work best with 3GB or 6GB however).

Hard drive: most perform well enough these days. The bigger the better really, just make sure it spins at 7200rpm (the vast majority do anyway).

Hope that isn't too confusing and helps a bit.

Burgess007 17:32 30 Aug 10

Thanks for the responses, I may upload a couple of options later for some feedback.

Burgess007 20:59 30 Aug 10

I have these three in mind. Any thoughts on them? Any preferences?

click here

click here

click here

Why wont it work 21:55 30 Aug 10

I think the first one is best, especially as it appears to come with a monitor. Good processor, strong graphics and a decent amount of RAM.

I don't like the second very much, and not just because it's the cheapest. The Nvidia 465 was a bit of a flop and is outperformed by it's little 460 brother.

The third one is quite decent, although I would swap the Nvidia 465 for a Nvidia 1gb 460 as it's only £2-3 more. If you don't already have a monitor it would probably turn out more expensive than the first however, for not quite as powerful spec.

Burgess007 22:31 30 Aug 10

Why won't it work, thanks for the advice, I agree the first is the one for me. I'll get a different monitor and I won't upgrade the ram to be honest but it looks a good buy and the reviews have been good as far as I can see. Cheers mate much appreciated.

Burgess007 22:33 30 Aug 10

Oh one last thing, Windows 7 64 bit or 32? Based on the 4gb ram and the processor?

AL47 00:35 31 Aug 10

64 bit, and yes def first one!

phoenix198 09:19 04 Sep 10

Definitely the first one in terms of the core up-front specification although I wonder at the quality of the 'Chillblast' mouse, keyboard and speakers. Also, I hope you noticed that the VAT inclusive price is in fact £1058!

Cannot help but feel that there is something slightly underhand about a vendor selling consumer-oriented PCs who highlights VAT exclusive prices rather than a consumer price.

Styxx 16:17 04 Sep 10

It's worth checking out the gamer systems on overclockers.co.uk. I got a Titan Goliath last year and it's pretty ace. At the time it was about £850, but they've changed the spec so it's a bit more expensive now. They give you options for graphics card, hard drive and so on too.

On a side note, if you're also looking for a gamer mouse, the Roccat Kone is awesome!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…