Gaming PC - £650 budget

zimara 10:37 24 Oct 08

Hi folks. My knowledge of PC's is rather limited but i've been reading through some of the posts on this forum for inspiration.

I need a gaming PC for heavy gaming (playing WAR Hammer online) but only have a budget of £650. I've gone to a couple of websites which were recommended onthis board and wondered what you thought of this computer spec.

AMD PHENOM 9850 QUAD CORE 2.5GHZ 4MB CACHE, 4Gb Corsair Memory DDR2 800 2 x 2gb single modules, 160GB SATA Hard Drive, , , Atrix 650Watt Transparent + Blue LED, GeForce GTX 260 896MB GDDR3, AM2 - MSI-K9N-SLI 1000FSB - DDR2 800x4 SLI-nforce 570, DVD+/- RW - 18X Samsung Lightscribe, No Floppy Disk Drive, No Monitor, Keyboard & Mouse Set Black and Silver, Integrated Sound Card, Intergrated Monitor Speakers, , Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premiem (OEM), No Additional Software, , 13 Month Warranty, Free Carriage

Its from Cougar Extreme and is priced at £627.

What do you think, any good? Can it be improved whilst not adding too much more money?

zimara 10:44 24 Oct 08

*EDIT* a lil more clearer.

AMD PHENOM 9850 QUAD CORE 2.5GHZ 4MB CACHE,

4Gb Corsair Memory DDR2 800 2 x 2gb single modules,

160GB SATA Hard Drive

Atrix 650Watt Transparent + Blue LED,

GeForce GTX 260 896MB GDDR3,

AM2 - MSI-K9N-SLI 1000FSB - DDR2 800x4 SLI-nforce 570,

DVD+/- RW - 18X Samsung Lightscribe,

I think that a 160GB hard drive is too small for a gaming system - it will fill up very quickly while much higher capacity drives do not cost much more, for example click here.

I would also considering going for a system with an ATI 4870. They are very similarly priced but give better performance click here.

I don't have time to check right now but at the moment Intel Core 2 Duo processors tend to perform better than the AMD chips so if I were you I would see what price-equivelent Intel chip you could get and compare the performance at click here

zimara 11:38 24 Oct 08

regarding the memory; Cant i use the memory in my current computer rather than have to buy new one? I also have a 500GB external HD where i store my music/videos etc.

feedquentin 14:04 24 Oct 08

Hey Zimara, sorry i can't advise you on your problem, I'm also looking to get a gaming computer at the same price range in a few months. Just wondering if you could keep me posted on what you get and how it handles when u get one :)
Good luck!

zimara 14:16 24 Oct 08

The PC costs £614, is this one any better? Is the Duo processor good for gaming or am i better off going with quad?

Intel core 2 Dou E8400 3.00 GHz 6Mb Cache

4Gb Corsair Memory DDR2 800 2 x 2gb single modules

500GB SATA Hard Drive

RC330 Elite Black Case

Atrix 650Watt Transparent + Blue LED

ATI 4850 512MB PCI Express DDR DVI

QCE - ASUS P5K 1333FSB-DDR2 1066x4-Crossfire-Intel P35

DVD+/- RW - 18X Samsung Lightscribe

No Floppy Disk Drive
No Monitor
Keyboard & Mouse Set Black and Silver
Integrated Sound Card
Intergrated Monitor Speakers
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premiem (OEM)
No Additional Software
13 Month Warranty
Free Carriage

Stuartli 14:52 24 Oct 08

A Quad CPU and similar features for not much more (£649):

click here

zimara 10:42 25 Oct 08

Thanks for the replies thus far. Feedquentin i will let you know how it goes:)

Ok i found this nice lil shop that guarnatees 2-3 days delivery on customs and free delivery. The rig below is £644 but i can get one at £600 if i change the motherboard to Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3. Is it really worth £44 for the ASUS?

* Premium ATX Midi Tower Case
* 650 Watt Power Supply Unit
* ASUS P5Q
* Intel® Core™2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core 4x2.4GHz 8MB cache
* Standard CPU Cooling Fan
* Corsair XMS2 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz
* 320GB 7200RPM SATA II
* Samsung SH-S203 20x DVD RW LightScribe Black SATA
* ATI Radeon 4850 512MB
* Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 Home Premium (64-bit)
* Built-in audio
* 2 Years Return to Base inc. 2 Years Free Collect & Return Parts & Labour

rustyboy 17:31 26 Oct 08

Try this firm. click here

Lots of good reviews, prices are competative and delivery is prompt and free. Also the phone support is second to none. All calls ive made to them for advice etc have been promptly answered and dealt with. I had an issue with my Power supply overheating. They arranged a courier to collect it the following day. And is what was returned to me within 7 working days.
You can design a games machine yourself. or take a prebuilt one.
My son is playing Warhammer on the machine i bought from them. All settings maxed and he never has stutter or freeze issues. the machine itself cost less than £650.00 (without a screen).

rustyboy 17:33 26 Oct 08

also further to the above.

All machines they do come with a full two year parts and labour warrently. They arrange pick up and re deliver after the work is done.

rustyboy 17:38 26 Oct 08

p.p.s

you dont need to go for a quad core processor.

A faster dual core works better for warhammer and all other normal daily uses.

try looking at a machine based around an

AMD x2 6000+ 3.1 Ghz or the Intel equivalent. Cheaper than quad cores and faster for Warhammer.

Would be nice if you could edit your posts here. Then wallys like me who keep remembering additional bits wouldn't need to multiple post.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…