Gaming PC £600~

Hakanku 12:00 08 Jul 08

Okay, im pretty much a newb at PCs when it comes to buying and what im looking for, i've just used my dad's home computer etc, but im looking to get one for myself in my room. It will be used for general net surfing etc, but mostly for games. Im not a huge gamer that needs to have everything top spec, as long as it runs modern games reasonably without it being pushed to its limit.

Im looking to spend around £600 (although prefer to spend a little less if it doesnt comprimise too much) All I need is the actual computer as I will be linking it through my HDTV)

I saw the following computer, is this okay for my needs? Or is there better deals out there with companies that I wouldn't know about?

click here

GaT7 12:13 08 Jul 08

Poor graphics on that one - you should be aiming for a HD 4850 at the very least for reasonable gaming. Or, a HD 4870 if it fits in your budget. The CPU doesn't have to be quad - a dual-core running at a faster speed is usually better in games anyway these days.

There may be better deals out there for similar money. Give us some time to find you one. It may be ideal if you could build your own - I can suggest some components off eBuyer/Scan/other. G

Hakanku 12:22 08 Jul 08

I wouldn't have a clue how to build, I have no experience with it at all, so I would prefer to buy a whole unit. Im open for recomendations, you people know better than me.

nosharpe 13:03 08 Jul 08

Search for barebones systems in Google and you should find something up your alley.
Some names I know who do this are Novatech, Overclockers, Microdirect, etc

They usually provide the case with motherboard, RAM, CPU leaving you to add graphics card & HDD.

Asus Ati HD4850 cards cost £130 at eBuyer so if you choose this, make sure you buy a Crossfire compliant motherboard, not Sli

Hakanku 15:27 08 Jul 08

When I said newb...I really meant newb. I wouldn't know where to start with buying graphics cards and HDD and fitting them? Is there any whole units/computers for around £600 that would do me? Or am I going to struggle to find one that will cope with modern games in this price range?

nosharpe 16:33 08 Jul 08

Overclockers will build a PC for you click here
The Gamer Basic gives you a good PC for your buck and you can beef it up a bit too.

I have a 8800 GT 512mb card which I find is more than satisfactory for playing the latest games.

You will need to purchase a separate monitor if you don't have one, as well as keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc.

There are a few other retailers around but I think they are similarly priced.

citadel 17:39 08 Jul 08

have a look at the gamer infinity 800 at cyberpower.co.uk. I would change the psu to an enermax 625 this adds to the price but it is worth it for a top quality efficient psu that will have enough power if you want to upgrade the pc later.

Hakanku 20:26 08 Jul 08

Okay, how does the following look?

£585.04 inc VAT

Specification
Antec Three Hundred Gaming Case
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4600+ 2.40Ghz
Asus M2N-SLi Deluxe DDR2
OCZ 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400 (2x1GB)
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB GDDR3
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB 7200RPM SATA-II 32MB Cache HDD
Samsung 22x DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter
OnBoard Sound
Corsair TX 650W Power Supply
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic 32-Bit

Another thing, we have wireless set up in our home, the PS3 and other computer are set up on it (the PC is connected by wire) with this computer I will need a wireless adapter right? Our house isnt that big, but the router is downstairs and the computer will be upstairs, would the Netgear 108Mbps Wireless Adapter be best, or would the 54Mbp be okay?

nosharpe 07:56 09 Jul 08

A nice system for that price, and it includes Windows XP.
You'd need the USB adaptor to connect wirelessly, 54 should be fine.
Broadband isn't even close to those speeds and the 108 would only be useful if you network your computers at home and do lots of file sharing, etc

GaT7 11:31 09 Jul 08

Quite poor value really considering the components & OS on their own are worth only ~£436. So they're charging £149 just to build it! G

Prices from eBuyer, Overclockers, Scan, etc:

£35 - Antec Three Hundred Gaming Case
£40 - AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4600+ Retail
£60 - Asus M2N-SLi Deluxe DDR2
£30 - OCZ 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400 (2x1GB)
£90 - Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
£50 - Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA2 HDD
£16 - Samsung 22x DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter
£00 - OnBoard Sound
£60 - Corsair TX 650W Power Supply
£55 - MS Vista Home Basic 32-Bit

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…