Gaming Desktop 500 pound any ideas?

Emsley555 19:05 05 Apr 08

Hey all.

Looking to buy a gaming PC for around 500 pound.
I know I'm not going to get anything truly awesome but something to just get me started.

Ive been out of the game a while now, So I'm not up to speed on all the "quad cores" and "dual core" stuff.

I just had my partner throw out my latest adition of PC adviser, it had a PC for 500 pound in the top 5 for below 500.

Its graphics card was an 8800 and it was AMD powered.
Can any one link me to this machine, or if you know of any better deals please let me know!!!
Thank-you.
Emsley

MCE2K5 19:16 05 Apr 08

Same article click here

Emsley555 19:27 05 Apr 08

click here

This is the one I was looking for, Im more of a gamer, As far as office work goes it would only be video editing.

Is this a safe bet?

SeanUK 21:19 05 Apr 08

Just bought a gaming rig from Cougar Extreme.

AMD Dual Core X2 6400 retail AM2 black box & Fan
2Gb Corsair Memory DDR2 800 2x1Gb
160GB SATA Hard Drive
8029-C43 Midi(Case)
Colors 550Watt Silent Upgrade
384Mb 8800Gs PCI express slimline
AM2 - MSI K9N-Neo-F DDR800x4 non intergrated
Samsung DVD +/- Re-writer
No Floppy Disk Drive
Integrated Sound Card
Intergrated Monitor Speakers
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premiem (OEM)
No Additional Software
Free Carriage
13 Month Warranty

click here

Might be worth considering, mine hasn't arrived yet.. but I picked Cougar mainly because of their good after-sales support and positive rep. I'll let you know how it runs when it gets here :)

GaT7 01:51 06 Apr 08

Need a monitor for that budget? If not, consider this QUAD-core Dell Inspiron 530 click here for £359 - remove monitor to get it for this price.

Then get a 8800GT* (quite a bit superior to the ones suggestioned so far) for £124.95 click here, & 2Gb more RAM for £28.19 click here (suggested this particular RAM as it's guaranteed to work).

Total = £512.14

If you go through Quidco (a reputable cashback site) you'll get £15.27 off the Dell (click here) & £1.68 off the RAM (click here), making a GRAND Total of £495.19. G

* If it comes with the 350w PSU, then it can be done - see click here. Phone Dell if in doubt, but purchase online to get the cashback

GaT7 02:12 06 Apr 08

suggestioned = suggested !! G

Emsley555 14:56 06 Apr 08

I think I wil go with the cougar it is the same set up I have been looking for the past week!!
Do you get a monitor mouse keyboard with that?

And Cougar have good rep you say?
I think this is the one to get me back on the band wagon.
Thanks for your suggetions.
And Sean-Uk Keep me updated fella!
Cant wait to get playing company of heroes and S.T.A.L.K.E.R again.

I better double check the reputation of the company.

GaT7 21:45 06 Apr 08

On C-E, a similarly specced PC to the Dell, would cost £685 (inclusive of all upgrades) - that's a full £173 more, excluding cashback (or £190 including). G

SeanUK 23:37 06 Apr 08

Hi Emsley55,

No monitor included in that bundle, I have two already kicking about and didn't need a new one. Figured I'd save myself a few quid! There is a Keyboard and Mouse included :)

Regarding Cougars Rep

Both Cougar Systems and Cougar Extreme seem to be held in pretty high regard on this website. I haven't stumbled across a mass of negative feedback elsewhere. Also, they've been around for a couple of years and seem to be going strong. That's always a good sign!

However, every experience is different and there's always a small chance something might go wrong... don't rush into anything and take a look around for yourself. That's my advice!

I'll be sure to keep you updated, if all goes well I'll see my system on Friday of this week. Fingers crossed, it all goes to plan :]

bnorth 14:34 07 Apr 08

glad you decided against Eclipse, Emsley
as we have seen they have a lot of bad feedback on product reliabilty and customer service.
In contrast Cougar seem to be well regarded as far as I can see.

Emsley555 16:16 07 Apr 08

I should be placing my order on wednesday, hopefully see it for the following friday.
I checked up on cougars rep and cant seem to find anything that looks bad.

A monitor should be pretty cheap, just sold my old CRT (CTX) Monitor it was a mint one.
Wish I had not now. ;)

Eclipse have a lot of bad press and I could not even find the special offer they were throwing out to people. Looks like a sales gimmick first come first "done." lol

Cant wait to get the dam thing. :)
Keep posted!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…