Games advice, please.

Forum Editor 17:40 22 Oct 07

I have to obtain a bundle of around four or five PC games for a client. He lives and works in Oman, and wants to give the games to a colleague for Christmas, but can't be bothered to sort this out for himself. I'll be visiting him in November, and I heard myself saying 'don't worry, I'll get them for you, and bring them with me'.

I haven't a clue when it comes to gaming, so I need your advice - what should I buy for someone who is a keen gamer? Apparently anything will be welcome, as long as it's recent (and good).

Mr Beeline 17:59 22 Oct 07

Hi... depends a lot on his interest but..

Out now. Consider:

1) Half Life 2 Orange Box ... FPS ... fantastic value (contains five separate games and all for around £26).
2) Bioshock ... FPS
3) Stalker ... FPS with some RPG elements. Should have been game of the year in my opinion.
Command and Conquer 3 ... RTS
4) Tomb Raider Anniversary ... Third person adventure (Lara still has some life left in her).
5) SWAT 4 ... Tactical shooter ... on budget label now. Still a great game.
6) GTA San Andreas ... American third person shooter in a simulated real world with RPG elements (!!!)
7) Oblivion ... RPG/FPS hybrid. You could loose yourself in this one.

Coming before Christmas.

8)Crysis ... FPS ... should be a cracker.
9)Call of Duty 4 ... FPS

There should be upwards of a hundred hours game play in that lot.

My choice would be: 1, 2, 3, 4, 7

Though I'm sure this sort of choice could be debated forever.

Mr Beeline 18:06 22 Oct 07

My choice tends to be slightly biased, as I like shooting things.

Though I am making the assumption that the person concerned has a half decent PC. As no doubt you will appreciate that modern games are pretty demanding.
IE. dual core CPU, 2gig memory and a reasonable graphics card (something like an 8800 or 2900 series card).
Otherwise there would have to be compromises made on graphical settings etc.

If a lower spec PC. then I could suggest some less demanding games.

Forum Editor 18:07 22 Oct 07

Thank you for that impressive response - just the kind of information I need. I'll wait a few hours to see if anyone has anything to add, and I'll get the plastic out later this evening.

Forum Editor 18:09 22 Oct 07

anyone who works with him will have a pretty good machine - the people in their offices are very much into technology.

jimmybond 18:17 22 Oct 07

I'm no great fan of the 'shoot everything in sight' type of games, as I think there's far too many of these around nowadays - I wish developers would spend a bit more time on gameplay rather than just churning out the same old stuff with different scenery.
However - I still have to agree with Beeline - half life is a classic & the orange box looks a great bundle. Also, Bioshock has to be one of the games of the year....
after that - why not give him a break, and try something a bit challenging, in areas that don't involve shooting stuff.
Flight Simulator X is a great game, if you have the patience for it....

Mr Beeline 18:20 22 Oct 07

Think I should add:

Word in Conflict - RTS. Just out and gets some of the highest ratings ever.

Rome Total War (Gold Edition) - RTS. Great value.

I'll give someone else a go now (though my selection contains most of the current top rated games).

PS. Please ignore anyone that mentions the SIMS! (only my opinion of course).

Acx 18:20 22 Oct 07

Tall order with out knowing what genre he likes

but you shouldn't go far wrong with

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08

jimmybond 18:24 22 Oct 07

good call - Tiger Woods always good for a laugh! Beeline's got some good games, but going for all the top rated and he'll just end up with 5 FPS's ;-)

GaT7 18:34 22 Oct 07

3 suggestions from me - all FPS(!)....only the first one is original (the other 2 having beien mentioned by Mr Beeline already):

1. Enemy Territory: Quake Wars - Amazon click here

2. Half-Life 2: The Orange Box - Amazon click here

3. CRYSIS (if it comes out in time) - Amazon pre-order click here

Here is a list of PC games released/going to be in 2007 (some in November) click here.

Just a thought....if someone is a keen gamer they may have the games already, or may have purchased them by Christmas anyway? G

donki 18:34 22 Oct 07

Id go for a broad range a FPS, an RTS and mayb a sport game?

1. Bioshock/ Call of Duty 4/ Crysis/ Halflife Orange box all out b4 Christmas

2. Command and Conquer 3/ Company of Heros & Opposing fronts/ World in Conflict

2. Has to be Football manager 2008!!

He will need a generous GFX card for all of points 1 & 2 and id recomend 2gig of ram for football manager.

Again its hard without knowing his comp spec or wot he likes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…