G-Mail

Jack65 19:21 19 Jun 04

I've heard a lot about this g-mail - 1GB of storage, never have to delete an email again - but how do you sign up?

Matt45 19:34 19 Jun 04

You can't "sign up". You have to be invited. I have an account and a few invites that I could give you. Just send me a private message if you want one.

Matt45 19:34 19 Jun 04

You can't "sign up". You have to be invited. I have an account and a few invites that I could give you. Just send me a private message if you want one.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:42 19 Jun 04

Anyone that needs to have 1Gb of email storage must be very, very important. ;-))

G (5 years of emails and attachments = 80mb)

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:47 19 Jun 04

ps...I only probbably need about 4Mbs, the rest, like most people's emails are drivel/not applicable now and rubbish. If my email was so important that I needed 1Gb I would be backing up to DVD or CDs and not leave it on someone else's server.

G

Charence 00:18 20 Jun 04

it should be available towards the end of summer 2004. You will be able to signup once its completed beta testing.

Matt45 - would an invite allow me to create my own user name? or would it just give me access to G-mail account to see what it is like?

Thanks

Charence

Matt45 11:15 20 Jun 04

An invite would allow you to create your own username.

AcidBurn7uk 16:12 20 Jun 04

Thanks for the offer of invites, but no thanks. I have enough e-mail addys to remember already and I don't think that another one floating round my head would help the voices! lol.

However, if you could tell us all (me) what it's like then that would be great!

jimmylove 19:54 20 Jun 04

all out of invites now I'm afraid.
Personally I've found it a great service. Sure noone will need 1GB of space (except perhaps Gandalf) but to be able to archive everything and search through my inbox with one click, and also to have a decent email address and easily create filters and labels make this attractive. It's also only still in Beta so should get even better (would like to have mobile access/outlook compatibility). I've always admired Google's work ethic and outlook and see them as the good guys. All in all I'm happy.

Matt45 20:24 20 Jun 04

You can take a look at how it looks here - click here

Charence 20:36 20 Jun 04

The 1Gb inbox isn't its only feature, you apply labels to e-mails instead of putting them into folders which seems a very good idea. Also when you type an address into the inbox, it will automatically display the entry from you address book. The adverts are also FAR less intrusive than those found on Hotmail, I was struggling to find them! They only appear on Emails when keywords are found, if there are no keywords, then the adverts don't even appear.

Thank you "jimmylove" for your invite!

Charence

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…