Future proof

Davideng 02:49 28 Feb 08

I am in the process of buying a new rig ,mainly for gaming. I was gonna get a pair 8800 gtx or ultras but I see some 9 series cards are now appearing.I am now wondering if I should wait for more powerful version of the 9,s or will 8800 do me for a few years yet ? Any help and advice would be gratefully recieved.

cheers Davie

Clapton is God 11:02 28 Feb 08

"Future proof" and PCs are contradictions in terms.

Whatever you buy today will be superseded next month!

Buy the best you can afford and enjoy.

pc613 12:19 28 Feb 08

At the moment NVida have only released the 9600gt which is a replacement for the 8800gt. They normally bring out the top line ones first, but not this time and they have not set a date yet for the full range to be released.
The 8800gtx or ultras should not need replacing for a least 3 years but if you wait till the full range of the 9 series is released you should notice a good drop in price on the 8 series.

keef66 14:16 28 Feb 08

the 9600GT isn't a replacement for the 8800GT, but it's cheaper, and performance is not far behind it

Totally-braindead 16:06 28 Feb 08

Whatever you buy now will be superceeded by something a few months down the line, theres no such thing as futureproof you just have to take your best guess and go with that. The longer you can wait the better deal you should be able to get as when they bring out faster processor and faster graphics cards the older one drop in price.
The 8800s will do you for some time to come but depending on when the new ones come out you might get them a bit cheaper if you wait or might get the series 9 cards for the same cash. Up to you really, with things like this you never really win.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced