Freeview Channels

Jester2K II 12:31 20 Sep 03

Looking at the PB TCX-170 for my mum (reviewed in PCA recently)

Went into Dixons and the notice said "Please note ITV, C4 and C5" are no oonger avalible through from Freeview" All 3, 4 and 5 logos were crossed out.....

Yet according to click here they are still on Freeview.

My old OnDigital box still picks up 3, 4 and 5 ok - under the settlement i get a whole £3 and keep the box to use as a Freeview box.

Can anyone confirm whats going on???

Microbe 13:20 20 Sep 03

If you don't get a reply on tis forum, try the Digital Spy Forums click here
I'm not sure if there are still restrictions on posting, but you could try searching on previous posts.

Jack D 14:50 20 Sep 03

Think Dixon's are confused. The Sky platform no longer supports the BBC Free to View card which also supports Channels 3, 4 and 5. You have to subscribe to Sky to continue receiving these Channels. Freeview is unaffected.

Alan2 15:44 20 Sep 03

I think there is some confusion as there are two types of "free" service - with very similar names.

"Free to View" is the satellite service which - as I understand - requires a link via Sky.

"Freeview" is the terrestrial service (requiring a new ariel) only available in certain areas but should include the channels you mention.

Stuartli 18:03 20 Sep 03

Freeview - housed on the former ON/ITVDigital terrestial digital service - provides the services you mention and will always do so.

Sky, as mentioned above, is starting to charge for what are supposed to be free to air services; if I remember rightly Sky's minimum monthly sub is now £12.50.

As with so many Sky monthly fees it makes the TV licence a positive bargain (which it is despite so many cynical remarks); in any case you must have a TV licence to have the right to receive television transmissions.

Stuartli 18:07 20 Sep 03

You don't necessarily require a new aerial to receive FreeView transmissions; the main necessity is that the aerial is a wideband version for your particular area.

A standard aerial will pick up most of the channels, but the middle section of channels might well be missing without a wideband version.

Jester2K II 18:40 20 Sep 03

I think Jack D has answered the question.

This seems to match the idea i have floating around in the back of my head...

Cheers.

I'll go and ask a Dixon's chap / chapess and see what they say..... ;-)

minter 20:11 20 Sep 03

In urban areas the only way to receive BBC, ITV, 4 and 5 is to install a satellite dish and box.
You can receive these channels free, but Sky has now decided that it is going to make it so that anyone viewing via satellite will have to pay.

Representations are being made to the government by action groups representing those who cannot receive TV without a dish.

Jack D 20:52 20 Sep 03

Srrictly speaking, that is not true. The BBC moved it's programming to another Satellite and did away with it's Conditional Access via Sky. Since the other channels (3,4 and 5) relied on the Free to View card provided by the BBC, and since none of them were prepared to pay for their own Free to View card they became tied to Sky's Conditional Access rules. Not Sky's decision at all, blame the BBC if you like.

Patr100 21:08 20 Sep 03

In urban areas the only way to receive 3.4 & 5 is via satellite? Er no, Does London ccunt as an urban area? I get all the channels fine wih a freeview adaptor including 3,4 & 5.

As jack D says, Dixons are confusing the removal of the channels from the Sky packages.

Jack D 21:15 20 Sep 03

Just as an afterthought, Sky COULD remove its encryption from channels 3, 4 and 5 but woud then be in breach of Copyright re cross-border reception ( might please Ex-pats but wouldn't go down too well with programme suppliers). If the government is so intent on making us all switch to digital reception let them supply Free to View cards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…