Freecom and TV Boosters

EFC1878 13:32 12 Feb 06

I run Freecom DVB-T on my pc via a household coaxial cable connection. I have bought a booster box to enable me to share the cable and signal with a portable TV (for which the cable was originally used) and also to strengthen the signal whihc it seems to have done very well.

My question is this (showing my ignoranc eof how the boosters work:

If I were to run the line from the booster to my DVB-T stick via another booster would the signal improve further?

The reason Iask is that whilst it is very good it is also slightly patchy at times and shudders/pixellates from time to time which affect viewing and recording.

961 14:07 12 Feb 06

Take a look at click here for a most detailed site about how to run tv inc digital signals round the house

I would suggest that if you are going to use a booster then it should be designed to provide an output and cable to each tv

The site above will show wiring diagrams but the main thing is to put the digital tv box first in the various bits and pieces inc amplifiers

One of the main problems is the electrical interference that each of these units introduce into the tv signal. The fact that you have pixellation and blocking/freezing, indicates that the original aerial signal is not sufficiently robust or that the digital box is not first in line after the aerial

spuds 14:08 12 Feb 06

Like you, I have a booster device which works very satisfactory on the TV system, but I would be a little reluctant about connecting it to the computer DVB.

Just done a quick search on Google, and not much came to light.Would be interesting to find out more about the subject.

amonra 16:11 12 Feb 06

A "boosted" signal fed to another booster (amplifier) will cause the second booster input to be overloaded and cause a wide variety of effects such as patterning, ghost images, buzzing, you name it, it can happen. It probably wont damage the PC but dont bother. The best idea is to use a high-gain amplifer at the aerial and then split the cable feed lower down using properly designed 75 ohm splitters. One separate feed to each device, and leave them connected all the time otherwise the impedence will alter and may produce unwanted side effects.

Stuartli 16:24 12 Feb 06

As I've mentioned before I use two aerial amplfier boosters - the first feed is to the main TV set (via a Freeview set top box and VCR) and the other feed via a 60ft coaxial cable under the floorboards to a second aerial amplifier.

This amplifier feeds a second TV set in the front room along with my TwinHan DVB-ter D+A Freeview PCI TV card (using a 15ft coaxial cable to the computert system.

I enjoy excellent reception on all the viewing media available including the TV card, which picks up all the 80 plus TV and radio channels from Winter Hill.

Stuartli 16:26 12 Feb 06

The only thing to remember is that a poor television siganl cannot be improved to any significant extent by an aerial signal amplifier.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear...:-)

spuds 17:05 12 Feb 06

Anyone knows how to tune-in Channel 5, mines rubbish.

961 17:20 12 Feb 06

Analogue or digital signal?

961 17:21 12 Feb 06

to save time, what transmitter?

EFC1878 22:35 13 Feb 06

spuds

Why would you be reluctant to connect abooster to a computer dvb?

All in all I guess I will shelve the idea of 2 boosters. It was only a short...

Thanks as ever for the posts

Mikè 10:29 14 Feb 06

Posted by Stuartli

"The only thing to remember is that a poor television siganl cannot be improved to any significant extent by an aerial signal amplifier.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear...:-)"

I'm afraid this is not correct both analogue and dvb reception can be improved, in particular the carrier-to-noise ratio of the signal. It is common practice to use a masthead amplifier for this purpose, and sited even further downstream if good quality coax is used.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now