Freecom DVB-T Stick USB

Bad Beagle 12:14 27 Sep 06

I bought this from Dabs - what a great piece of kit. The installation was simple and believe me I mean simple, the software is excellent and simple to use. I set up all the freeview channels within minutes and was viewing and recording on my lap top a shortwhile later. I cannot reccommend this highly enough !

GaT7 15:12 27 Sep 06

Bad Beagle, I'm glad it works well for you.

I've been thinking of getting one of these for some time now but have a few concerns:

1. What's the reception like? I think I live in an average to good reception area.

2. Does it require a better aerial &/or does it HAVE to be plugged into one's terrestrial aerial socket? I only get the 5 basic channels at the moment via my socket.

3. How much space do the recordings take up? For instance, how much space does an hour's recording occupy at standard quality?

4. Can the recordings be easily burnt to DVD (I've a DVD-writer) & watched on a regular DVD player?

Thanks for any replies. G

Jimmy14 15:49 27 Sep 06

I completely agree with you. I bought the Freecom DVB-T stick some months ago and when it was all up and running it was an excellent piece of kit. People couldn't believe that the usb dongle was for Freeview TV of that size when I was telling friends about it. I would also highly recommend it.

Stuartli 15:57 27 Sep 06

Give Bad Beagle a chance - he's presumably only just acquired it....:-)

dwaynedibbly 17:20 27 Sep 06

Yes also agree, nice piece of kit. Had one for several months now.

The reception on the supplied aerial is not bad, but I bought a booster aerial for about 15quid which racks it up a little and gives a good picture.

An hours worth of tv recording takes up about 1.6gig which sounds a lot, but if you`re only going to watch it once then delete, its not a problem.

I`ve had a few goes at recording it onto DVD but the software I used wasn`t really upto it, and the result was a bit jumpy. I do believe however having read several reviews, that a piece of software such as Uleads DVD factory or even Nero 7, should give a better result. Something to do with mpeg2 conversions?? I am planning on purchasing some software in near future so will keep you posted.

If you check out the Freecom support site there is quite a good users forum on there. One even gives a link to a German site which has a better version of the user interface. Unfortunately my system recently crashed and reverted back to the old one, so will have to do some hunting for it again.

GaT7 17:27 27 Sep 06

Thanks dwaynedibbly - that helps a lot : ) May I ask where did you get your booster aerial from & is it an in/outdoor one? An outdoor one wouldn't suit me.

Stuartli, you're right, I felt the same but as it's an open forum I felt anyone with a similar gadget could answer my Qs, as dwaynedibbly kindly did : ) G

dwaynedibbly 17:30 27 Sep 06

Yeah picked it up from local B&Q one day.
Got bored looking at the Black and Deckers.
I think even your local Argos may have some.

Its an indoor one just sits on desk next to monitor and has its own power supply. You can connect it up in seconds and works fine.

tonyx1302 17:41 27 Sep 06

Hi Bad Beagle. Could you please tell me which model you brought and a link if poss.

With thanks

Tony

Stuartli 18:06 27 Sep 06

This review of the best indoor TV aerials will prove of interest - the top rated model cost just £9.99:

click here

GaT7 18:38 27 Sep 06

Thanks again dwaynedibbly & Stuartli - that's very helpful. Argos do the £9.99 one click here. They also do a freeview one for £14.99 click here but I suppose it's the same one that comes with the Freecom DVB-T Stick.

Breitling, would be one of these I'd imagine click here. G

The Kestrel 21:38 27 Sep 06

Interesting! I followed Crossbow7s link to Dabs for the DBV-T stick, and read the readers reviews. Talk about politicians hiding bad news - the first two pages of reviews are all glowing 5 out of 5, it is not until you work your way to pages 4 & 5 are all the 1 and 2 out 5 poor reviews clumped together!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…