Free Windows 7 upgrade from HP

Pineman100 17:49 03 Dec 09

When I bought my new HP Vista laptop in the summer, I registered with HP for a free Windows 7 upgrade, and paid about £27 in advance for the disk, postage, packing etc. My purchase was validated and my order acknowledged. I was told that the disk would arrive in October.

A while after the original delivery date was past, I got an email from the supplier telling me that writing driver software for W7 was taking a while, but that I should receive my disk in early November.

Last week I emailed them, asking where my W7 was. Today I got an email telling me that:

"We will ship your upgrade kit to
you soon. We are receiving a lot more orders than we expected. Therefore it takes longer to ship the orders. That means we are unfortunately unable to predict a delivery date at the moment."

Has anyone else yet received a free W7 upgrade disk from HP? I'm getting pretty hacked off with the delay.

chub_tor 18:53 03 Dec 09

A pal of mine in Sandhurst had a similar problem and was tearing his hair out. In the end he took his HP laptop with his receipt back to Currys, banged it on the customer service desk and insisted that they sort it out. He waited for more than an hour until they did and now has the promised disk but he is waiting for his next visit to Devon when he expects me to install it for him.

curofone 20:56 03 Dec 09

in the case of your friend what is he expecting currys to do? although the he got the machine from them the free upgrade offer is an offer being provided by the manufacturers not the store, all the stores are doing is giving the customer the info they need to go about getting the free upgrade ie URLs to manufactuer's websites, also in any literature did it detail how long these upgrades might take, i know it is bad pratice and customer service but technically no one is doing anything wrong. I dont see what currys can do apart from give your friend a copy of windows 7 but i dont see why they would/should.

chub_tor 21:26 03 Dec 09

It's a long story but as he related it to me over the phone he attempted to order his disk online as detailed in the paperwork he received with his computer but the serial number on the bottom of his laptop could not be accepted. He went to Currys with the paperwork but not the machine and received further URL's which also did not work, he 'phoned the Currys help line and I believe another 'phone number which Currys supplied to him but could still not register his computer for the Win7 upgrade. Being short in stature and also short in temper he went back to Currys and asked them to register his machine for him as he was unable to do so. Somehow they managed to do so and he paid his fee £27? and a few days later received his disk presumably from HP.

curofone 21:41 03 Dec 09

makes slightly more sense now, like i said before currys or any other stores are very limited to what they can do with these upgrade offers as they are nothing to do with them and the only resource avaliable too them are those that everyone else has. The only thing i can think of in this case is that whoever was trying to register in the first place was some how do it wrong, ie putting the wrong serial number into the website etc.

also £27, thought hp was charging £21.99 for their shipping and handling fee, toshiba are the only ones i know of charging as much as £27

Input Overload 21:52 03 Dec 09

I only got my DELL update disc last week. Actually I went back to Vista as I prefer it, maybe the only person out there but I do.

Ford Prefect 01 10:08 04 Dec 09

Ordered mine end of August beginning of September, received it yesterday.

I believe all the orders are being directed to one company nominated by Microsoft. Perhaps Microsoft should sort out their contractors.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now