Free to View

cara 02:18 13 Dec 03

What to look for in a 'free to view' receiver please? Any 'must haves' or are they all pretty similar?

Thanks in advance
Cara

hugh-265156 03:06 13 Dec 03

i have sky but the basics i would want are an EPG,a minimum of two scart sockets(RGB),stereo phono outputs for connection to an amplifier,digital teletext,parental lock if you have kids and the facility to change the screen aspect ratio between 4:3 and 16:9

you will probally find all that as standard on most boxes though and then some extras.

what it probally comes down to is if it has easy to use nice looking on screen menus EPG and the styling of the box,layout of remote control buttons etc.

ronh 03:33 13 Dec 03

There's a mag called T3, the current editioon of which carries short reviews of a few boxes. The one they recommend for connectivity & quality is the Phillips DTR1500 @ £100. Alternatively, if you don't need digital audio output, the Samsung SIR-U2001, also at around £100 is supposed to look better.

Stuartli 08:21 13 Dec 03

We're not talking about Sky here but Freeview..:-)

The Freeview basics apply to virtually all boxes as it is software controlled including aspect ratios, parental control, composite or RGB output, active and digital text etc; two Scart sockets are a must if you have a VCR, DVD etc and an auto switching Scart box such as the one at Argos for £25 could be a useful investment.

The Electronic Programme Guide (EPG) will be with us soon (page 704 has been earmarked).

Pioneer's DTR-DT100 Freeview box has just been released (around £88 including delivery from Techtronics) and includes digital sound output, virtual surround sound, screenshot grab, two Scart sockets and other features.

Got one for my son for Xmas and he's delighted with it, as I am with my very rare, class act Pioneer 2010, which was the company's original foray into ON/ITVDigital land; the DTR-DT100 is only its second Freeview box and has been well thought out.

Previously I had had the original Philips and then Nokia (triumph of style over substance) ONDigital boxes.

Freeview provides an excellent introduction to digital (terrestial in this case) television, but in most areas a wideband aerial is required to pick up the mid-channels stations.

For the price of three or four months' Sky subscriptions you get permanent digital TV and can bask in the knowledge that when analogue transmissions cease you'll be OK.

Stuartli 08:56 13 Dec 03

Some reviews and comments on virtually all Freeview set top boxes here:

click here

and details of the Pioneer DTR-DT100 at the manufacturer's website:

click here

Stuartli 09:00 13 Dec 03

The Pioneer also has Dolby® Digital Bitstream Out to ensure that it handles future Dolby® Digital broadcasts.

March Hare 09:59 13 Dec 03

For lots more useful info
click here

March Hare 10:01 13 Dec 03

Also click here

mikef. 13:25 13 Dec 03

The Goodmans GDB3 has just won a best buy from Which £69.50 from Argos

hugh-265156 15:57 13 Dec 03

Stuartli,i know its freeview.

just said i use sky but if i WAS buying a freeview box then the basics i would want would be as above. :-)

oh and i would also want a favorites function also.olso probablly standard on most boxes.

SEASHANTY 16:03 13 Dec 03

On your link to Pioneer and my previous one to Techtronics its DBR-TF100GB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…