***Free Programming Languages from Microsoft***

118-118 Got Your Number 10:26 27 Nov 05

For all you novice/beginner programmers out there; Microsoft has just released Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition for nothing!

As long as you download before 06/11/2006 you won't have to pay for: -

Visual Basic 2005 Express
Visual C++ 2005 Express
Visual C# 2005 Express
Visual J# 2005 Express
Visual Web Developer 2005 Express

These are all full applications with no significant draw backs. I have been playing around and can't see any limitations.

You will also need to download MS SQL Server 2005 as .NET needs it if your program needs a database.

Dwonload it at click here

It's not often you get something for nothing from Mr Gates.

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 10:48 27 Nov 05

Huh, microsoft giving out free software? - Its gotta be the end of the world! :|

Anyhow, call me blind but I can't see a download button :(

Im only roughly experienced in Visual Basic6, maybe this might be too tough for me anyway, but i'd still like to see it :)

Thanks for the link, and if you could point me in the right direction to where the 'DOWNLOAD' button is, I'd be most greatfull :)

118-118 Got Your Number 10:51 27 Nov 05

Sorry Big Ben et all. I didn't point out that you have to download each individually. On that web page there are links to each one. Click whichever is your prefered language.

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 11:01 27 Nov 05

You know just as I found the link I come back and you have cleared that one up :D

I'm downloading now, thanks alot! =P

118-118 Got Your Number 11:05 27 Nov 05

Had a look at the FAQ's about porting VB6. There is a migration tool built into VBExpress but you may have to manually tweak your code.

;)

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 11:37 27 Nov 05

Well I guess tweaking the code wouldn't be so hard, Im just worried that there is going to a major difference in the coding, otherwise thats a new language to be learnt, well I guess some things will stay the same, methods ect.

Ill just have to wait and see :)

"Currently Installing (2 of 3): Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition" - not that long now :D

Geez im getting excited, I was thinking of learning C++, thats tough stuff in my eyes but the advantage to that would be I could use it for linux programs (using the more purer compilers) as I think Visual C++ is slightly different to the open source compilers eg, Bloodshed C++.

118-118 Got Your Number 11:45 27 Nov 05

And I couldn't agree with you more.

Lots of developers see VB as a beginners language. I say you've got to start somewhere. But C++ is definitely more efficient and concise albeit cryptic at times. It's one of those languages that you'll never know all about - that's how powerful it is.

Once you have got your head around the syntax, you will probably find coding quicker than using VB. I nearly bought Visual C++ 2003 earlier this year, glad I didn't.

118-118 Got Your Number 11:48 27 Nov 05

Got to go and do some Sunday DIY for the missus.

Otherwise I'm Dead!

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 12:22 27 Nov 05

I just had a mess around in the new VBE enviroment, man this is cool, I see the caption property is no longer "caption" its now "Text"

Its pretty much simple things like that are changed about it, I will do some coding later but the enviroment definately looks alot better, and seems easier to use, I like it very much :), but now I need to make something usefull with it...thats the hard bit ;-)

I found this if you are interested - click here - It is bloodshed C++, its a basic compiler might be worth a try?, but then I guess you can download Visual C++ now anyway! ^_^

Have fun! ;-)

Monoux 16:27 27 Nov 05

bookmark

Canis meus id co 18:55 27 Nov 05

Bookmark

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…