Free internet access

ZootHornRollo 09:21 10 Feb 04

I have a laptop as well as a desktop PC. I use the Desktop for broadband net access but am about to be away from home a lot and want to access the net using the laptop's internal 56k modem. I don't want to sign up with a new net service so can anyone recommend a 'free' ISP that charges for calls only. There seem to be few around but I don't know good a service they provide.

JerryJay 09:39 10 Feb 04

Get a £10 prepaid pass which gives you 2000 minutes access from any phone line valid for 3 months. I used before I got broadband, the connection speed and reliability is very good from my own experience click here.

thisisnighthawk 10:04 10 Feb 04

you could always use your mobile, like i do, ideal for getting emails and the like..

thisisnighthawk 10:15 10 Feb 04

I should have said, by connecting it to the laptop. by cable or infra-red

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:02 10 Feb 04

Tiscali, MSN, freeserve..all OK and can be used from any landline in the UK.

G

anchor 12:11 10 Feb 04

If you don`t wish to sign-up with a new service, try Turbosheep.

click here

You only pay for the calls, at local rate.

Cannot comment on their service, but one quick test showed their connection was comparable to other ISP`s on 56k dial-up.

Stuartli 14:32 10 Feb 04

Being in a pedantic mood, what you really mean is not free internet access but Pay As You Go rather than a fixed monthly payment.

Dipso 21:06 10 Feb 04

Does your Broadband ISP not offer a backup dial-up account?

JerryJay 21:17 10 Feb 04

I think that the prepaid pass 0.5p a minute offered the best value for money click here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…