'Free' Broadband?

5HAD0W 11:53 25 Aug 06

Hi, I was thinking of moving to broadband (I don't have a current BB ISP) and couldn't fail to notice the free offers around.

Can anyone tell me what their experiences have been of TalkTalk and their free BB offer or of Sky's offer(I am an existing customer)?

Many thanks for any help!

spuds 12:07 25 Aug 06

No such thing as really free within a broadband service. Charges are obtained via the 'extras', so it pays to fully understand the commitments before signing-up. You may have noticed, that the usual 12 month contracts have in some cases been extended to 18 months. A long time if things do not go to plan!.

If you follow the forum, you may have already noticed certain problems have started to appear with some of these 'free' offers, due to perhaps over subscription.

Stuartli 12:43 25 Aug 06

I'm with TalkTalk - apart from some minor problems it has gone as expected and with connection speeds generally between 1.7MB to 1.9MB on a 2MB service.

I rarely have to pay any phone call charges (usually 0870 prefix numbers), am able to phone free to 28 different countries if necessary and the £20.99 monthly charge also includes the £11 line rental to BT.

I estimate that I am saving around £10 to £15 a month.

However, because of sheer demand, TT does appear to be taking longer than usual to switch your broadband service; that means having to pay your current ISP as well until the changeover.

A word of praise here for Tiscali, my former ISP.

I had to pay for three months' continued service due to TT's delay in swapping my BB service - this morning I got the final bill from Tiscali in written form as I no longer have a My Account service on its website and it has credited me with just under £5 as it wasn't a full final month.

Cheque will be in the post is the message...

TT has compensated me for its failure to complete the BB service switchover as promised, plus a further substantial good will payment towards the Tiscali payments.

It pays to keep nagging...:-)

Widows Son 14:01 25 Aug 06

And can agree with all that he says about the service. I've no problem in recommending them. But be aware you’ll need to wait for a while for connection.

Re Sky and Orange just be aware that the monthly usage cap is a rather miserable 2gb on their free service. Talktalk’s is 40gb.

My only hassle was trying to get a MAC code out of Orange (formally Wanadoo/Freeserve) but this will not apply to you if you don’t currently have broadband.

Once yo do get broadband you'll wonder how you ever coped with 56k. Welcome to the 21st Century!!! :)

howard63 20:37 25 Aug 06

I am waiting for my connection to talktalk bb my phone line and calls have already transferred. I am currently with bulldog at £24 for 1 meg as soon as I go live I will be saving the bulldog fee. TT do not answer e-mails and are still saying I will be live by the end of August but they have not asked me to get a mac code yet so I cannot see it happening.

Stuartli 00:01 26 Aug 06

>>TT do not answer e-mails>>

I've not had that problem...:-)

Incidentally I requested a Connect and Go CD-ROM and, over a period of 10 days, ended up with four of them, including one burned to a Sony CD-R disk...:-)

Re your MAC - telephone 0800-049-0020 and provide it to TT direct.

JayDay 11:16 26 Aug 06

I have just in the process of transferring to TT. Reckon on saving £11 a month. To get round the additional cost of 0845 and 0870 nos. I use this website to find the geographical numbers so I can call them for free click here

Stuartli 11:52 26 Aug 06

Even better:

click here,

5HAD0W 12:44 26 Aug 06

To all who have contributed! Based on the positive feedback here I think that I'll probably go with TalkTalk as hoped and cheers for the great links.

Stuartli 15:08 26 Aug 06

Make sure that you won't have to wait a long time for the broadband side to be available; however the fact that you don't already have a BB service should smooth the way considerably.

terryf 17:00 26 Aug 06

Before you sign up with tt look at Eclipse, they let you have a month by month contract, IMO tt are (words fail me because of my problems in the past).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…