Foxit Reader Not Allowed

Housten 15:11 23 Mar 11

Hi everyone and Good Afternoon,

I don't if anyone can help but I would be grateful for any advice/help/information/'complaints at my whingeing'perhaps!

Sometime ago I had a problem on my desktop and had to get it corrected, and the computer engineer who did it installed a few items on my computer. These have all been helpful, but one is annoying the h*** out of me. The programme at the top, when I first used it seemed a lot quicker than what I was using. Now a lot of websites will not let me do anything unless I have 'Flash' programme and any version between 7 and 10!! I am perfectly happy with 'Foxit' but I feel I am being pushed - unfairly - into having this 'Flash' programme.

I don't see how I can avoid downloading this 'Flash' programme but if anyone has any idea as to what I could do I would be very grateful. Any comments from anyone??

MAT ALAN 15:49 23 Mar 11

Why do you need adobe flash player?

Many games, animations, and other media content on the internet are presented in flash form. Unless you have downloaded flashplayer, you wont be able to view them.
click here

Foxit is a PDF document reader...

Housten 16:14 23 Mar 11

MAT ALAN,

Sorry to trouble you, but you have somewhat confused me! I was under the impression that Foxit and flash were two 'competing' programmes. Are you saying that they may have some similarities but they are, essentially, for different things?

MAT ALAN 16:28 23 Mar 11

Absolutely right, they are both standalone progs that do diferent things.
FOXIT is a superb alternative to ADOBE'S PDF reader which is where the confusion might come from with regards to ADOBE'S FLASH PLAYER...

uk-wizard 19:50 23 Mar 11

Adobe reader is for displaying PDF documents, these are sent in a special format (PDF = portable document format) which should always print out and display the same on any computer/printer, it has all the page settings, margins, fonts etc built in.
Adobe Flash is a used for displaying moving pictures and video on websites.

Housten 10:57 24 Mar 11

MAT ALAN/uk-wizard,

Good morning, gentlemen,

many thanks for your help in this. I have installed the 'flash' programme, and only have to uninstall the 'google toolbar'. I am hoping this will NOT be installed but it appeared to. Heigh-Ho such things are sent to try us!! I will now, thanks to you two kind gents 'tick this as resolved'. Once again please accept my grateful thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5