found someone elses data on my "NEW" hardrive

©®@$? 16:48 10 Apr 04

bought a new hdd from ebuyer dated 30/10/2003

have just ran a recovery program on it, to recover some of my files..and i have come across data that was created before i purchased the drive...so i am doing a full scan now to see what else shows up..

do i contact ebuyer or what?

supposed to be brand new hardrive but obviously it has been used..

Forum Editor 17:33 10 Apr 04

what the data files are - what they contain?

It's just possible that they were placed there by the drive manufacturer as part of a test routine. It's not probable, but best to be absolutely sure before you contact anybody.

ade.h 17:38 10 Apr 04

Anyone who reads the Consumerwatch pages in PC Advisor each month will know how common this has been in the last year or so. If this turns out to have happened to you, then you should certainly bring it to Ebuyer's attention. For the record, Ebuyer has often been complemented by other users of this forum, and I'm sure it is a genuine error and a very rare occurrence.

©®@$? 17:44 10 Apr 04

well have found mp3's,mpgs and website templates so far, some dated 2002 and the mpeg and mp3's date created sept 03, didnt order the drive until 30/10/2003 and recieved it 4 nov 03

still looking through

©®@$? 17:50 10 Apr 04

but maybe some of the dates i am seeing are the dates that these files were created and not when they were put on the machine..

LET ME ADD THIS:

i have always shopped with ebuyer and i find them a good company to deal with.I don't want to give them a bad name, i have been a customer with them for years, i just hope i don't find any personal information from other poeple on here

just don't want to bad mouth anybody especially if this turns out to be false

bremner 17:53 10 Apr 04

You are quite right that create dates can not be relied on to prove the files were arleady on the machine.

Are the files ones you were aware of ie is the mp3 one you knew about / played etc

Rayuk 17:57 10 Apr 04

All hard drives are in sealed manufacturers static bags,was that not the case when you bought the drive,what is the date of manufacture of the hard drive itself?

©®@$? 18:11 10 Apr 04

bremner when i intially did the scan, go to about 50% and i canceled as it was taking along time..but it showed 50% of the files it found, so had a look through them, found allot of mp3's that i have never heard of, so they were not from me..also the mpeg is not from me also..but when i recovered them they didn't work, so have now done a full scan and i am trying to find them again..going through everything

Rayuk, when i recieved the hdd, i'm quite sure it was sealed..nothing sprung to mind at the time, but cannot be defenate

Rayuk 18:18 10 Apr 04

And the date of manufacture is?although this may take longer as you may have to physically remove drive to check.

©®@$? 18:21 10 Apr 04

well put it this way

i have used this hardrive as a data hardrive ..formatted and partitioned through, xp's disk manager

the recovery program has found 1 NTFS boot sector

and 4 FAT boot sectors

FAT entries 5368

NTFS directories 498

fat entries 8

©®@$? 18:27 10 Apr 04

anyway of finding that out through software, instead of me removing the drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…