In flight prices (Rant)

Covergirl 13:10 01 Oct 10

I realise the flight companies have to get as much income as they can from their customers to offset the price of cheap flights etc, but I find the cost of in flight food and drink is a little over the top - to the point of being a rip off.

Who in their right minds would pay £10 - £15 for an in flight meal? Consider what you get for your money - i.e. a small tin tray filled with MSG laced meat & veg, a bread roll, butter, a sweet and some plastic cutlery. Would you pay the same in a cafe / restaurant ?

Drink prices - £3.60 or 2 for £6 if you want a spirit, plus extra for a mixer. Would you be happy to pay this in a pub? I think not.

Rant over

It's like anything else - they will charge what the market will tolerate. And once you're up in the air, there's no risk of competition!

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:37 01 Oct 10

You will survive a few hours without food or drink.....many people in the world do. You can feed your face before the flight and as far as I know, no one has ever died of starvation on a plane journey. You can also take a couple of sarnies if the thought of 4 hours without food in your gob is abhorrent. However I must admit that the half-wits I see clutching bottles of water, as they parade about town, as though their very life depends on it, will probably die.

G

Chris the Ancient 14:29 01 Oct 10

As with your other rants today (are you in a bad mood?) those people who are willing to pay those prices are making the money that the airlines use to subsidise your flight.

Really, I think that something has upset you (apart from the prices that you don't need to pay for the things that you don't want) and you seem to need to put it all in writing.

OK.

But why here?

Covergirl 17:07 01 Oct 10

Bad day? BAD DAY ??? Ha Ha Ha you all. - no, I'm having an extremely good day thanks - one of those days where words are flowing a bit better and I felt it time to get a couple of things I have observed lately off my chest.

Flying - absolutely love it !! Got back from the Costa del Sol last weekend after a nice relaxing ten days. I made a few observations as per the three rants and thought it was about time to get them down to see if anyone agreed with me.

cruiser2 17:32 01 Oct 10

Just flown for the first time with KLM. Manchester to Copenhagen via Amsterdam and Venice to Manchester via Amsterdam. Had free drinks including wine and a snack on each flight. Had two cans of apple juice on the return flight from Amsterdam to Manchester.

Forum Editor 18:06 01 Oct 10

I think not."

But you're not in a pub, are you? You're in an aircraft flying at 38,000 feet or thereabouts, and everything aboard the aircraft has been lifted off the ground and kept in the air by expensive aviation fuel. It costs money to fly dozens of bottles of booze around the sky.

Ditto food.

On the one hand you say you realise that cut-price airlines have to " get as much income as they can from their customers to offset the price of cheap flights etc," and then you complain when they try to do just that. I suggest you look up the meaning of 'logical'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…