Flatbed scanners - recommendations?

Chunkster#1 18:23 29 Sep 03

Normally I find enough pointers for hardware I want to buy, but picking the right flatbed scanner has confused me. There seems to be no clear trend, other than that Canon & HP tend to be recommended most.

So, if I wanted to by a scanner for home office use (odd copy, OCR possibly), plus scanning film/photos occasionally, what would people suggest? Budget anywhere up to £200 or so.

Cheers!

Djohn 19:15 29 Sep 03

All scanners in the higher range of your price band will be good, some will be excellent. The major suppliers such as Canon, Epson, HP, and others will not disappoint you.

I have the Canon LiDE 50. Five months back when this model first came out it was retailing for well over £100.00, and at some outlets is still priced close to £100.00.

There are one or two internet suppliers offering it closer to £75.00 and even at it's original price is well worth the money.

The Canon is good to look at, very fast in use and quiet enough that you have to check it's actually scanning. Others will recommend what they use, and this is the best way to decide. Listen to each persons view and make your decision according to which best meets your needs. Good luck, and have fun. j.

sdf 19:33 29 Sep 03

I got a Visioneer 9020 and it is fantastic. been no.1 in pca for like 5 months or sommin now. I really think its a fantastic piece of kit

Sir Radfordin 19:41 29 Sep 03

Unless you are doing some serious stuff I doubt you would need to spend £200 on a scanner. I spent about £120 on the Epson 1240U with a negative hood thing. Its good enough for anything I do.

On reflection I would suggest you get one with a built in negative scanner hood so you don't have an extra gadget to play with.

Epson, Cannon, HP (in no order) are both good makers of such items.

alB 20:25 29 Sep 03

Have a look at the Epson 1660 photo, scans transparencies and film as well as photos etc, good software and the price is reasonable ...alB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…