Fitness for purpose

cider country bumpkin 23:13 23 Jul 04

Frequently the description of a newly launched PC will be a comment on the appearance, quite often 'another boring beige box' or 'racy futuristic case'. Now, I have no problem with the second description but 'boring beige box' may well be downgrading a good PC. If the beige box has plenty of extra bays and room inside for expansion then it may well be a better bet than the racy machine. As an engineer, beauty is 'fitness for purpose', and a beige box which is fit for the purpose is beautiful. I prefer 'Goes Faster' to 'Has Go faster Stripes'. Or perhaps I'm just odd?

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:37 23 Jul 04

A Corsa does the same job as a Ferarri but given the chance one can shove one's Corsa where a squirrel shoves it's nuts. Visual style makes a lot of difference which is why all the decent British designers leave for Milan. Mixing clean lines and good looks with engineering excellence seperates the men from the boys.

G

Forum Editor 00:05 24 Jul 04

there have been things that have become design icons - objects of desire. These things have sometimes been expensive and sophisticated (a Lutyens house) and sometimes less so (Fender Stratocaster guitar). Sometimes they are totally practical (the ZIP lighter), but they have all got the same thing in common - they're functional in a unique and stylish way.

The same thing can happen with computers, and Apple have shown the way to some extent here. I see no reason why a computer that's essentially a tool should not also be visually pleasing, and I welcome innovative and decorative design. I haven't seen anything that could be termed a design icon yet, but it's early days................

ened 06:24 24 Jul 04

You can't fit your golf clubs in a Ferrari!

You can't fit your golf clubs into a beige computer box either.

harps1h 07:26 24 Jul 04

but then if you tried to fit golf clubs in a beige computer box, there would be men in white coats chasing you!

Mister Splendid©® 07:41 24 Jul 04

And...... you can't fit a full ATX case in a golf club bag!

cider country bumpkin 08:56 24 Jul 04

Thanks, you certainly made me laugh! However, I still reckon I'd rather be climbing the snowy hill in a farm Land Rover than stuck in a BMW at the bottom. As I said, beauty is fitness for purpose and a beige box with good innards fits the purpose and is therefore beautiful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…