First 'green' computer

MichelleC 08:50 26 Feb 07

PC World is developing the first 'green' pc. The hd and memory will be made from recycled or recyclable materials, as are the cables and most other parts. It will cost between £550 and £650.

The parent company DSG says it will be the first energy efficient computer in the world.

It will go on sale in the autumn and will cost about £50 more than a conventional pc.

Sounds interesting.

Stuartli 09:24 26 Feb 07

Don't forget the abacus..:-)

Arnie 10:53 26 Feb 07

"made from recycled or recyclable materials, as are the cables and most other parts."

It should cost £50 less!

Stuartli. I believe the Japanese still use the abacus and they are very fast and efficient for everyday calculations.

neil79 11:45 26 Feb 07

Evesham just won an award for the first Green Computer. click here

fitshase 12:50 26 Feb 07

I thought PC World already sold "recycled" computers judging by previous posts where people have bought a "new" machine only to find someone else's data on the HDD!

MichelleC 14:05 26 Feb 07

neil79, the Evesham is energy efficient but I don't know if it's also manufactured environmentally efficient.

Stuartli 16:36 26 Feb 07

Most PC systems are environmentally friendly to some extent already - hence the power saving measures which can be configured.

Stuartli 16:38 26 Feb 07

>>and will cost about £50 more than a conventional pc.>>

Seems that almost any "environmentally friendly" product these days carries either a price or tax surcharge.....

The Brigadier 17:25 26 Feb 07

VIA C7-D chip?
Is that not a Cyrix CPU with a different name?
Not as "high tech" as Intel & AMD?

silverous 11:46 27 Feb 07

Sounds like the evesham doesn't go quite as far as the PC World machine will, based only on that link.

They are planting trees to offset the chip manufacture (the only part which can't be recycled/made from recycled material), however PC World are ensuring that every part (other than the CPU) are made 'green' and also planting trees (or buying carbon offsets - I don't think you'll see PCworld employees with a shovel any time soon) to offset not just the CPU manufacture but also the emissions of the transport.

wiz-king 05:50 02 Mar 07

When the world is covered with trees then what are they going to do? Does not solve the problem, just makes them sound better. Now if they made a nice wooden case that might help :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…