First Build project.

I-W 14:58 05 Apr 05

For sometime now I'v been toying with the idea of building my own PC. I'm looking to build this PC mainly for the internet, music and the occasional DVD. I'm trying to keep to a low budget for now with the idea to upgrade in the next couple of years. I have had dealings with OEM products and to be honest would like to steer clear from them. As fars as cpu's go I'v maily been lokking at AMD but if need be I would go with Pentium. Can anyone please give me some pointers on the best components to start with? many thanks.

TomJerry 15:11 05 Apr 05

build for fun, go ahead, £300 will be more than enough for your requirement without monitor

build for cost saving: forget about it

Why do you hate OEM components? All of we self-builder LOVE OEM components.

I-W 15:32 05 Apr 05

Cause in the past when I'v gone looking for the drivers for the products I'v used they were nowhere to be found. It may be different now, I may end up using OEM if I have to.

Fingees 16:13 05 Apr 05

Go on, use OEM, after all you will be the Original Equipment Manufacturer.

It's just most items don't come with all the glitter and unneccessary boxes.

Drivers are always available for them.

For instance you can choose round cables instead of the flat that come in the retail version.

You can save a lot of money.

I would suggest, if you have any computer fairs locally on a regular basis, you go to one just to see the price difference, and what is available.

Best wishes
Fingees

961 16:30 05 Apr 05

I would say that OEM is ok for most components and the drivers are usually available. Look on the manufacturers web sites before you buy to ensure they are available

I would suggest, however, that you buy the retail AMD processor, fan and heatsink. These come boxed with a 3 yr warranty whereas the oem processor does not have the benefit of this long warranty

No need to buy cutting edge stuff for what you want to do. AMD 2400/2600 is cheap and provides good performance

As for upgrading, motherboards are all of a flutter just now. If you are determined to upgrade in a couple of years then you need a 939 pin processor and motherboard to match in which case a faster (more expensive) processor will be appropriate.

Scott Mueller's Upgrading and repairing computers is a worthwhile read from the local library or you can buy a copy from one of the computer bookshops for around £25

click here is a handy web site

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…