Firewall and Anti-virus - advice needed

bear73 13:03 07 Oct 04

I don't currently have any anti-virus or firewall on my pc and would like to sort this out. We are going to go over to AOL Broadband shortly and I am told you really should have a firewall if you are using broadband.

Any recommendations on what I should get? I don't have a lot to spend I'm afraid so maybe the best budget buys that will give me the protection I need.

Whenever I run Computer Check-up on AOL it flags everytime that I don't have any firewall or antivirus protection. I have recently loaded XP Service Pack 2 and I get a message everytime I use the computer now saying my pc is at risk because I don't have anti-virus. When I go to the XP Security Centre in Control Panel it tells me that I have Windows Firewall ON. Does AOL not recognise this as a firewall then? Do I still need to purchase a firewall if I have Windows Firewall?

Belatucadrus 13:43 07 Oct 04

click here# for links to good security downloads. I don't use AOL so can't comment on what it does or doesn't recognise.

rdave13 18:41 07 Oct 04

you're in luck,AOL broadband supply a free firewall.

rdave13 18:44 07 Oct 04

check net for free antivirus and anti spyware progs!

spuds 19:21 07 Oct 04

All the protection and safety programmes that you need are available from click here

Remember that you should not run two firewall together [XP firewall plus another].

bear73 20:33 07 Oct 04

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

CurlyWhirly 10:06 08 Oct 04

Why not try this FREE firewall at aol://1722:firewall

CurlyWhirly 10:12 08 Oct 04

Sorry link didn't work for some reason!
If you just type FIREWALL in AOL Keyword it will take you straight to the relevant page.

Tenacious Green 13:23 08 Oct 04

I have AOL BB and I use Zone alarm Free edition and it works a treat. It is also quite easy to use for people like me (not experts). Just remember that you shouldn't use more than one at a time. (ie don't use AOL's and Zone alarm).

bear73 14:12 08 Oct 04

Many thanks to all of you for your help.

smokingbeagle² 21:56 08 Oct 04

Panda. No fuss and not a resource hog.
click here
or Norton Internet Security though you'd have to check for conflicts with AOL. Personally I think NIS has got bloated over the years but very functional.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…