Firefox less secure than IE..bang goes those myths

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:10 18 Apr 05

Browsers this way please >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>click here

'US-CERT (United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team), a partnership between the Department of Homeland Security and the public and private sectors that impartially tracks all manner of security issues in operating systems and major applications, shows that the list of IE's current vulnerabilities is shorter than those for FireFox, Mozilla, and the other alternate browsers. Likewise, it also lists fewer Windows vulnerabilities than for the other OSes'. (not Linux perchance, shurley shome mishtake)

'For example, the "common knowledge" that FireFox is "more secure than IE"
simply is false. Switching to FireFox for that particular reason--- in the belief that you'll magically and automatically be more secure--- is just plain wrong'...the man must be a Luddite.

'between July 1 and December 31, 2004, Symantec documented 13 serious vulnerabilities affecting Microsoft Internet Explorer, but found
21 vulnerabilities affecting each of the Mozilla-based browsers'...end of the world here then.

I am aghast that people have been lulled into a false sense of security although I could never condone this;-)))

BTW the writer has probably forgotten more about computing than the collective hive mind here.

Forum Editor 19:18 18 Apr 05

what a shock!

So it's not true then - Firefox developers didn't find the holy grail?

wiz-king 19:45 18 Apr 05

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you, for that link and the report, I'm glad to hear that Microsoft are reported as doing some thing right for a change, I have long suspected that Firefox was too good to be true in the security stakes, it's good but not perfect... hooray. Now wipe that smirk off your face....please:-)))

smy13 19:56 18 Apr 05

I started using firefox out of curiosity, not for reasons of security, I’m afraid I don’t have the depth of knowledge in that field to make an informed decision. However what hooked me into firefox was the multitude of ways you can customise it and tailor it you needs. I still have to use IE at work and the lack of tabbed browsing gets right on my ….. chest. So I guess like most things it boils down to personal preference

Mr Mistoffelees 20:14 18 Apr 05

"So I guess like most things it boils down to personal preference"

And my personal preference?..... Opera 8 and I am unanimous in that.

Dennis Goycoolea 20:19 18 Apr 05

There's your rebuttal: click here

It's our old friend "count the numbers of vulnerabilities - but ignore severity of those vulnerabilities".

Anyway, according to CERT, Dillo (click here) beats all. I found ONE vulnerability from two versions ago. In principle Dillo will build under win32, so let's get switching.

Pooke100 20:22 18 Apr 05

Haven't tried anything except IE on PCs, used Netscape in school all those years ago on a Mac Performa 330.

IE's perfectly fine, don't know what the big fuss is over all these other browsers.

Ancient Learner 20:39 18 Apr 05

Glad you did that. That makes sense to me, whereas the other, I thought, had a certain taint to it.

smy13 20:53 18 Apr 05

Good article, it all becomes clear me thinks !!
GANDALF <|:-)>the words axe and grind come to mind

Joe R 21:05 18 Apr 05

Firefox less secure than IE,

I run firefox, not because I was under the impression, that it is a lot safer than IE, but find that the tabbed browsing, to name but one, makes it, (in my belief) a better and more efficient browser.

I feel that if you take security of your P.C. as seriously as you should, then it doen't matter what browser you run, and it is just a matter of preference.

Joe R 21:05 18 Apr 05

"doen't" ? = doesn't.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…