Firefix 1.0

krypt1c 12:53 12 Nov 04

Anyone using Firefox 1.0 ? Any comments for / against. I'm currently using Avant Browser, which I'm happy with, but after all it is only an IE clone with additional functionality.

fourjays 13:31 12 Nov 04

I didn't like any of the BETA Firefox releases, but I must admit Firefox 1.0 is a big improvement. It loads webpages much faster than IE. For example, my online hosting account control panel, takes 2 mins to load in IE, and freezes up while doing so. Firefox loaded it within 30secs.

Firefox takes a bit of getting used to, but after a while it starts to grow on you.

On the downside, there are some extended features from IE, that do not work, such as the coloured scrollbars. Also, some JS that aren't Netscape enabled will probably fail to work correctly.

Dorsai 14:54 12 Nov 04

I am currently using Firefox Version 1 Pre release.

Unless firefox gets a sudden attack of the Pox, I will keep it. I will upgrade to full version 1 soon, but i am in no hurry, as what i have works.

As fourjays said, it seems much more responsive than IE.

Less 'server not found', 'page cant be displayed' , Error 500....etc.

As for Avant, never tried it, so cant comment in favour of one over the other. But it's good. IMO.

Belatucadrus 16:00 12 Nov 04

I tried a lot of browsers, always ended up going back to IE6. Until I tried Firefox that is, IE6 is now relegated to Windows updates only and Firefox is the primary browser.

david.h 16:02 12 Nov 04

but i cannot see any difference between the normal mode and safe mode with firefox

Djohn 16:20 12 Nov 04

Downloaded Firefox 1.0 last night. First time I've used it but it seems OK, a little strange at the moment so will give it a couple of weeks to settle into. I Like the fact that you can enlarge the text in forums, IE won't allow that.

I'm still a big fan of IE though as it never gives me any problems and though I have not done any speed test, Firefox is not quite as fast as some have led me to expect.

IE seems to have the edge in speed but as I say above, Ive not actually tested them, it may just be that I'm more at ease with IE at the moment. I will give Firefox a good trial though because I like what I see so far.

Stuartli 16:49 12 Nov 04

Downloaded Firefox about half-an-hour ago and currently playing around with it.

Speed wise very similar to IE but some features are quite neat, such as the dragging and dropping of Toolbar items and separators.

geelbe 16:55 12 Nov 04

I have been using the various versions of Firefox for some time now and am currently using v1.0,
I have always found it very good and reliable, and would recommend it over IE.

krypt1c 17:03 12 Nov 04

Thanks all. The general concensus appears to be it's worth a try so - fingers crossed - i'll give it a go

Vague Boy 17:36 12 Nov 04

I've used the pre-release version and version 1.0 and 1.0 is a LOT faster. Certainly worth evaluating (no good for Internet banking with HSBC alas).

Stuartli 09:26 13 Nov 04

I use the Halifax online banking service and have just checked it out - it works fine with Firefox.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…