Fingerprint readers

SG Atlantis® 10:45 08 Dec 05

Looking at the MS one on amazon for £23 are they any good?

Are they accurate and reliable?

SG Atlantis® 10:46 08 Dec 05
  GANDALF <|:-)> 11:56 08 Dec 05

1) They can be bypassed in 10 seconds by anyone with a tiny bit of knowledge.

2) They also have the problem that they easily 'unrecognise' a fingerprint, which is a tad tedious.

3) You will have nothing on your computer that warrants such security.

4) ones used at secuiryt companies cost over 32500 each, the ones from Amazon cost a lot less......you do not need to figure this out.

G

spuds 12:16 08 Dec 05

Aldi were selling similar devices a few months ago, ended up being sold at a clearance price at my three 'local' Aldi stores.Nearly bought one, but someone had a posting within the forum requesting further advice,so I decided 'not for me'.I think they were being sold at the final price of a little over £6.00.

GaT7 14:17 08 Dec 05

I was going to ask the same question recently & almost bougth one. G

From a review (click here & go to page 2)
<<Finally, there's Microsoft's boldface disclaimer in the software installation screens - underscoring that the biometric scanner "is not a security feature and is intended to be used for convenience only. It should not be used to access corporate networks or protect sensitive data, such as financial information." In other words, the reader is kind of a cool gimmick, but a relatively minor convenience on top of your browser's existing cookies and logon recall, and Fast User Switching.>>

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:45 08 Dec 05

32500 each....that would be £2500.

G

SG Atlantis® 16:35 08 Dec 05

I appreciate that it's only a novelty, I'll probably get bored with it after a while.

Although I thought it might be a bit harder to "get by" than what you guys and Microsoft are saying. There's nothing on my system worth while unless you wanna steal pictures of my cute adorable kids :p

Anyway, might get one just to see how convenient they are. Have they caused any adverse effects on computers, like crashes etc?

GaT7 17:16 08 Dec 05

SG Atlantis®, read the user reviews at Amazon - most are good, which almost made up my mind about getting one.

I think the point about security is not what someone can steal from your PC, but is about what someone can do if they get hold of your secure login details, e.g., for online shopping sites, Internet banking, etc.

This is one 'flaw' that has put me off. For me this can only happen if someone breaks into my house or steals my PC, then uses it fraudulently for the above reasons - I fully trust the few other people who (rarely) use my PC. G

GaT7 17:31 08 Dec 05

This is one 'flaw' that has put me off. For me this can only happen if someone breaks into my house or steals my PC - which unfortunately isn't such a distant possibility - then uses it fraudulently for the above reasons. I fully trust the few other people who (rarely) use my PC. G

SG Atlantis® 23:16 08 Dec 05

Well I know it's not meant as a security tool, but I have ordered one anyway.

It'll be handy I think.

Sapins 10:55 09 Dec 05

Just read your thread, I bought one of these from Amazon a few months ago, it is superb for logging in to user name and password protected sites, I think we all recognise it will not secure a computer if someone actually gets access to it and we know hackers will never attack a home computer don't we?

As a "convenience" thing its worth the money, I hope you enjoy using it,

Regards,

Sapins.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…