The final straw with Wanadoo

zipdrive 17:09 24 Sep 04

I have been with wanadoo/freeserve since day one, not for much longer! I applied for the £27.99 1MB service 30GB limit on the 25th August as I already was paying the same price for the 512KB service. I got an email on the 27th August saying I have been accepted and would have the new sevice within 10 days. ( I did open a call on this site then, about the fact it was free to apply online for new users, but existing users had to pay £20).

I was still waiting for this service after the 10 days so phoned on several occasions to be told that it was infact 10 working days and they had only found out from BT that they don't work at weekend!! Yesterday to my disgust I was informed that my form had not been filled out correctly -not due to my part- and I would have to go to the back of the queue and re-apply. To say I was angry was an understatement. Then to be told they were finding it difficult to meet the demand. As I pointed out they should have allowed for that before offering the service. Also the email they sent, i felt was a legally binding contract between myself and Wanadoo. They just did not seem to care, so it's time to move on.

Can anyone recommend a good ISP that I can change over to and upgrade to 1MB service with a high monthly download quota?

Many thanks in advance.

Zipdrive

BlackButterfly737 19:04 24 Sep 04

Zipdrive, like you I have been with Wanadoo since day one and recently tried to upgrade to the 1MB Broadband. They told me a similar thing, strange really because applying on line not much should go wrong. Also, your right when you said they should have been prepared for demand an offer like that would generate. I've been checking out click here
for advice on my next ISP move. Hope you find something suitable.

zipdrive 19:43 24 Sep 04

Thanks BlackButterfly737 for your reply.

Not sure which one to go for. I have been tempted by the offer from Force9. I can transfer for free then pay £14.99 to upgrade to 1MB. They do that for £29.99 a month with no download limits. The question is that I would more than likely be in a new 12 month contract and there is talk of broadband prices dropping further over the next year.

Regards

Zipdrive

willieweed 21:40 24 Sep 04

My recent experience of upgrading from 512 to 1Mb Broadband via Wanadoo is slightly different!

Whilst browsing the Wanadoo offer for existing Broadband users I accidentally clicked the link to upgrade to 1MB for £20 admin fee at the beginning of the month. I decided that I did not want to upgrade and accept the 30mb restriction so I phoned the Wanadoo help line 2 days later and told the Wanadoo rep that I had made a mistake and wished to cancel. I was assured that this was not a problem especially since the order had not been processed. Two days later I received a email saying the the order was being processed. I again rang the help line, repeated my story and was again reassured that the order had been cancelled. A week later I received a routine call from a Wanadoo rep asking if I was happy with their service since I had been on 512 Broadband for in excess of a year. I informed the rep that I was happy EXCEPT that I was experiencing the problem related above. She checked my account and again told me that the order had not yet gone through the system and she would ensure it was cancelled. Three days later I received a brand new broadband modem via courier post which is still in its original wrapping. A week later ie today, when I logged on I found I had been upgraded to 1.1MB broadband!!!! I cannot access my account to see if I have been charged the £20 admin charge for an existing user. I suspect however I will be charged! Wanadoo - Obviously Wanadoo's motto is " We Wadadoo it even if you tell us 3 times you don't Wanadoo it!

I still want to revert to the old 512 level!

fitcher 19:33 25 Sep 04

I also recieved a new boxed modem, and i think it
is because they are now changed to wanadoo and not freeserve ( but why complain about being given a modem I say thanks wanadoo )after paying my twenty pounds to change to the lower band . i was a bit concerned it was taking
so long .. but I was pleasantly surprised and had to remind them to deduct money from my card
I must be the only one who says thanks wanadoo
up to now no problems ..

BlackButterfly737 19:48 25 Sep 04

I submitted my first post after contacting Wanadoo yesterday. It seems they have pulled their socks up. I have just noticed I have been upgraded to the 1.1MB, after telling them to cancel my request! I wonder if they will still charge me the £20.

I'll probably stay with Wandadoo for now, because like Zipdrive I don't want to sign into another 12 month contract.

BlackButterfly737 19:50 25 Sep 04

I submitted my first post after contacting Wanadoo yesterday. It seems they have pulled their socks up. I have just noticed I have been upgraded to the 1.1MB, after telling them to cancel my request! I wonder if they will still charge me the £20.

I'll probably stay with Wandadoo for now, because like Zipdrive I don't want to sign into another 12 month contract.

rdave13 21:07 25 Sep 04

AOL the best;look them up.

I am with BT and upgraded to 1mb last week.The whole process was the height of efficiency.Applied on line and hours later received an e-mail acknowledging my request, and saying the line would have to be tested and would take 2 days.48 hours later another e-mail saying line had passed and would be upgraded in three days time, and it would be necessary to disconnect me from the internet for 30 minutes.Three days later, at 7.00 a.m. I was disconnected, and 30 minutes later reconnected with the 1Mb service.Third e-mail received later that morning saying I was now connected.
Well done BT - you may not be the cheapest, but certainly give value for money.

Well done Wanadoo!!!! After signing up for the 512k service 2 weeks later I noticed that Wanadoo were now offering the 1MB connection, a quick traditional phone call to customer service,
and 10 working days and a £20 fee was well worth the extra 512k.

For £17.99 a month you can't beat the service!
(I'm not a download Junkie).

Although still to expensive for what it is Broadband prices at the end of the day will come down and your download limit will go up....

Why jump ship and pay more for the corporate lifestyles these people enjoy at your expence?

There will always be delays admin or connection problems where ever you go!
It's the way of the world now, all 0 and 1's

Well done Wanadoo!!!! After signing up for the 512k service 2 weeks later I noticed that Wanadoo were now offering the 1MB connection, a quick traditional phone call to customer service,
and 10 working days and a £20 fee was well worth the extra 512k.

For £17.99 a month you can't beat the service!
(I'm not a download Junkie).

Although still to expensive for what it is, Broadband prices at the end of the day will come down and your download limit will go up....

Why jump ship and pay more for the corporate lifestyles these faceless people enjoy at your expense? When it's excellent value for money at Wanadoo..

There will always be delays in admin or connection problems where ever you go!
It's the way of the world now, all 0 and 1's

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…