Final Desktop Specification!

Leeleemu 16:27 08 Aug 05

Right, you all have probably seen my various questions posted, well my final desktop is as follows:

Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe NVIDIA nForce4 SLI Socket 939

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 90nm Socket 939

Memory: Kingmax PC3200 SuperRAM 400Mhz 2GB DDR (2x1GB) Dual Channel Pair

Hard Drive 1: Western Digital Caviar 7200RPM 120GB FDB 8MB SATA

Hard Drive 2: Western Digital Caviar 7200RPM 200GB FDB 8Mb SATA

Graphics: Sapphire Radeon X800 XL 256MB PCI Express

Power Supply: Enermax EG495AX-VE(W)SFMA 485W ATX (Version 2.0)

Cooler: Vantec Spectrum Fan Card

CD/DVD Drive: HP DVD640i 16x Internal DVD±R/±RW Double-Layer inc. Lightscribe

Case/Tower: Thermaltake Dream Tower VA3000BNA Tsunami Black

Price = £948.35

I therefore have £51.65 of my budget, my question is what should I spend this on, to improve my Graphics, CPU etc. What do you think?

Any comments about the whole system as well would be great as this is the first computer I have ever built1 Is it ok?

mattyc_92 16:38 08 Aug 05

Well, why do you need 2 large hard-discs for? Just keep the 200gig one and ditch the other.

You could spend the £50 on a USB Pen Drive (you can get about 1gig for £50).

Leeleemu 19:09 08 Aug 05

Because Im going to do Animation and Special Effects so i need alot for my animation I will be doing!

I already have a MP3 Player which can act as a USB Pen Drive and can carry up to 40 gig.

Totally-braindead 19:39 08 Aug 05

Its just a suggestion but I'd be tempted to either get a dedicated external hard drive or a second CD Rom or better perhaps a DVD Rom. I prefer to have individual optical drives in case of drive failure so I can still use the computer without the hassle of rushing away to try to find a shop that sells a replacement, the other idea is why not just put the cash towards the software which I presume you will want for the PC or towards Windows XP presumming you don't have it already.

Leeleemu 20:24 08 Aug 05

Yeah taking your point in, I think I will opt for a second DVD-Rom. Is the computer specification there powerful enough for Multimedia and do you think it is a good system in general?

Stuartli 17:05 10 Aug 05

A second HDD could always be used for backups.

Just a small point. Whatever the final specification you decide on, by this time next week it will have been superceded...:-)

It's the way of the world with computer systems...:-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…