file synchronisation

griffo 21:26 19 Nov 03

can anyone please recommend some good software for synchronising files between networked PC's.
Looking for something that just records changed/new files, rather than a complete overwrite each time.

Jester2K II 21:57 19 Nov 03

click here

From the FAQ

Can EZBack-it-up backup to a network drive?

Yes... But you must first map the network drive to a drive letter. UNC style connections are not supported at this time.

Jester2K II 21:57 19 Nov 03

Efficient. Incremental style backup - only backs up files if they were created or modified since the previous backup.

griffo 10:51 20 Nov 03

thanks I'll have a look at this. Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by 'map' etc. or what UNC style connections are?

Jester2K II 14:06 20 Nov 03

Map - You need to make sure the drive on the "Target" (your backing up too) PC has a drive letter on the "Source" (the one your backing up from) PC - ie You'll have

A Drive - Floppy Disk
C Drive - Source Main Disk
D Drive - Source CD Drive
E Drive - Target Main Disk

Then backup the C Drive to the E Drive on the Source PC. As the E Drive is in fact the Main Disk on the Target PC it'll backup across the network.

UNC - ????

griffo 17:01 20 Nov 03

in your second post you said "UNC style connections are not supported at this time".

Have downloaded the programme and did an initial copy (backup). Then made some changes to check it copied those - but it seems to be copying the whole lot again - taking ages!

Jester2K II 17:05 20 Nov 03

Quoted from the FAQ - I don't know what it means!!!

1) Job Menu, Settings, Check Delete Extra Files and Folders.

2) It runs a scan to check first then copies / deletes the files it needs to after. Don't coinfuss the scan with copying.

Try looking at the logs to see whats going on...

Jester2K II 17:06 20 Nov 03

Especially the last line which summarises the actions taken.

griffo 17:48 20 Nov 03

looked in the log and it does seem to have copied everything again!
By the way, it does reconcile files & folders in both directions doesn't it? ie; whichever PC makes changes it copies the changes in either/both directions?

Jester2K II 18:02 20 Nov 03

Its one way. Source to target.

Sorry i did say Source and Target PC above. I didn't realise you wanted to synchronise in both directions.

griffo 18:08 23 Nov 03

oh well - thanks for trying. Back to the drawing board - must have 2 way synchronisation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…