Fighting the scourge of scareware

peter99co 17:58 01 Oct 08

Just a heads up.

click here

961 19:15 01 Oct 08

As a guy who started with an Amstrad in the late 80's and learned much of what he know's courtesy of Bill Gates I've arrived at a situation where I trust no one on the net unless I either know them or their company

I don't trust e-mails, phone calls, letters or calls from outer space!

Last week I got a call from a well known credit card provider who rang to ask if I would confirm items purchased on my card. "No," I said, "I'll ring you back"

The call was genuine (as were the purchases, it was just a check) but you really cannot be too carefull

Just make sure that you have a good virus checker a good firewall and a couple of spyware detectors and that you keep them up to date

p.s. I've had a guy from Ghana on to me today offering 10% of £5m as well as an offer of a Rolex for peanuts. However, I've had several e-mails from financial institutions which were entirely genuine

Not easy, is it?

birdface 20:42 01 Oct 08

Not before time.Why should folk profit by destroying what is not theirs.Maybe there will come a day when we no longer need security programs.But of course I am only dreaming.It is just a case of theft if we steal from anyone we have to pay the price why not them as they are doing it on a large scale.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…