Faulty Scan DVD Player

Sebby 11:25 07 Jan 04

I bought a DVD player from Scan under a year ago (a big mistake) and it has become faulty.

Scan arranged for an RMA to be issued, and informed me that I must send it back at my own expense. Now, I don't want to do this. It's a large item and it will cost a fortunate to send back, especially when I know it's faulty and they will only replace it!

I voiced my concerns to Scan, but they are extremely rude and abrupt, telling me that they will not be responsible for collecting it.

Is there anything I can do? Are there any laws that state that it is their responsibility, or they correct that I must return it at my own expense?

Many thanks in advance.

Stuartli 13:27 07 Jan 04

As you would appear to have had considerable use from the player already then Scan's reaction is understandable to some extent.

As with all drives of this nature, including CD/DVD-ROM and CD-RW and DVD rewriters, they are not the most robust of devices.

What exactly is proving faulty with the player?

Stuartli 13:30 07 Jan 04

I don't know if Scan is a member of Retra (unlikely) but some guidance here could help you fight your case regarding products' lifespan expectation:

click here

Sebby 13:33 07 Jan 04

Thanks for your reply.

Just to clarify, it's not a DVD player for a computer, it's an actually DVD player connected to a television.

The problem is that when the player loads, the picture on the screen jerks.

What I'm really hoping for is that I can say to Scan, "you must collect it because..." :-)

Sir Radfordin 13:34 07 Jan 04

Your best hope may come from agreeing with Scan to send the product back and if there is a fault they refund you for the postage. It shouldn't cost too much to send providing you don't send it via Royal Mail.

If you were to reject it as not fit for purpose under the Sale of Goods Act you would have to return it to Scan - and again you would have to pay to do this. It is one of the pitfalls of buying online.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…