Faulty goods, who pays for labour in addition to replacing part?

Cara2 15:50 06 Mar 14

As above really.

Hopefully this will not become an issue, but a part on a bathroom fitting has gone faulty.

The part is guaranteed for 3 years and is within the guarantee period.

The item was fitted by a company organised by the supplier of the part but the fitter only guarantees his work for 1 year. Potentially there could be a not inconsiderable cost involved in the fitting of the faulty part.

Generally speaking who should foot the bill for the remedial work when the part is under guarantee?

morddwyd 19:35 06 Mar 14

The guarantee will normally specify,"Parts Only" for anything over the statutory twelve months.

I suspect you are on a hiding to nothing!

Kevscar 06:33 07 Mar 14

EC/!999/44 states the minimum guarantee must be for 2 years and UK consumer law states it can be for upto 6.

Forum Editor 06:40 07 Mar 14

A manufacturer will normally issue a warranty in respect of manufacturing defects only.

That warranty is different, and in addition, to the protection you have under the provisions of current consumer legislation. For consumer legislation to apply you must deal with the company from which you bought the item. That company is liable to you for faulty items, regardless of the fact that they were made by someone else.

You say that the supplier 'organised' the fitter, by which I take it you mean that they recommended someone who you paid separately. In that case you entered into a separate contract with the fitter.

Someone has to fit the replacement item, and it is reasonable for you to expect the supplier to foot the bill for that - presumably you are not claiming that the original fitter is in any way responsible for the fault?

The cost of the work has arisen because of the faulty part, and you need to talk to the supplier about recompensing you for the additional fitting cost - Consumer legislation covers you for faulty workmanship, but not for the consequential cost of fitting a replacement part as a result of a manufacturing defect in an item made by a third party.

Cara2 01:46 09 Mar 14

Thank you so much for your replies.

In fact I paid a 'premium' price for the bathroom to be installed by a company which the bathroom supplier uses. I then paid the supplier for the entire job - supply and fitting.

They seemed to think that only the cost for the replacement part would be covered.

Thankfully, the manufacturer has agreed to pay 'all reasonable costs' for the remedial work, provided everything was accessible, according to their terms and conditions.

Not there yet, but hopefully this will pan out okay.

Very much appreciate all help

Cara2 01:47 09 Mar 14

Oh, and no, at this stage we are not attributing any blame to the fitter.

Thank you, Cara

Cara2 16:29 09 Mar 14

My husband was able to fit the part himself and actually, it does look like a problem with the original installation as a nut was over tightened - something the instructions specifically say not to do 'as may damage unit'.

Think that was the problem!

Forum Editor 00:31 10 Mar 14

"a nut was over tightened - something the instructions specifically say not to do 'as may damage unit'."

That kind of thing is not uncommon, particularly where wall-mounted mixer tap units are concerned.

Ex plorer 10:10 10 Mar 14

I was self-employed plumber and heating engineer some years ago.

I gave twelve months guarantee laboure and materials.

Radiators then and maybe still do only Carrie a six month guarantee from the suppliers.

If it was genuine faulty equipment it would be replaced, I would then take it up with the supplier and would be credited for it.

That way they get my business again and I get to keep my customer happy.

wiz-king 08:46 11 Mar 14

I hope you paid the 'fitter' the market rate for the job less deductions for the swearwords used.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now