Fancy one of these in your camera or phone?

Forum Editor 18:59 10 Jan 04

Toshiba have developed a tiny hard drive - less than an inch across - which can hold between two and four Gigabytes of data.

So, you could soon be holding a matchbox-sized device that slips in your pocket and holds a mirror of your hard-drive, with operating system, software, and all your data.

click here

powerless 19:07 10 Jan 04

How much guv?

That'll be the decider.

cycoze 19:32 10 Jan 04

To qoute ZDnet "The drive is the first to bring multi-gigabyte capacity to a sub-one-inch form factor, Toshiba said. It is expected to launch at around $280 (£154), with mass production eventually lowering the price to around $90." from click here .

CNN however state that "Pricing has not been decided" click here .

I`m sure we will see larger capacities over the next couple of years , and plenty of uses for them .

cycoze 19:34 10 Jan 04

Quote even !

961 19:52 10 Jan 04

Yes I'll have one for backing up my system

Pesala 20:49 10 Jan 04

With a 3½" form factor hard drive, and 1" removable drives for backup, would there be any need for CD or DVD drives? Software installation is increasingly being done from downloads.

That opens the options for really small PC cases, or PCs built into a keyboard.

wee eddie 21:29 10 Jan 04

CD's are almost useless for archiving, with their maximum of 10 years and a more frequent 2 years to degradation.

The likelihood of a DVD being any good is no more than slightly better.

If these are stable and have a suitable potential life, they'll knock my external drive to a cocked hat.

Al94 21:54 10 Jan 04

Surely bound to be harder on battery life

Sir Radfordin 22:59 10 Jan 04

Just having a phone that works for a year would be enough for me ;)

sidecar sid 23:20 10 Jan 04
  Stuartli 09:15 11 Jan 04

See:

click here

plus Toshiba's slightly larger, but higher capacity, earlier versions, along with Hitachi's efforts and another one inch model from Startup Cornice:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…