Fan stopped working on motherboard :/

Bonafide 23:56 03 Feb 08

I have to ignore the warnings that a fan isnt working on the motherboard but apart from that my PC appears to be fine. Of course I am slightly worried, it is very recent and I might be doing untold damage. I am not sure what I can do. The motherboard is : ASUS A8n-SLI deluxe PCI-Express Mainboard - ATX

and here is a picture I took with my phone of the fan: click here

Bonafide 23:58 03 Feb 08

This might actually be the wrong forum thinking about it but I dont want to spam it in other forums now I posted it.

Kemistri 00:12 04 Feb 08

Assuming that you have checked that it is not a false report, it depends on which fan it is and whether its associated component can run with only a heatsink. I suggest that you make use of a temperature monitor utility, usually available from the motherboard manufacturer, to determine whether the component is still running within spec.

I cannot really determine anything from that photo.

Totally-braindead 01:11 04 Feb 08

Thats the Northbridge fan, if its still spinning you could leave it till it fails ( it SHOULD shut down the PC if it does fail but theres no guarantee ) so personally I would replace it and I would replace it with a Northbridge heatsink like this click here or this if theres less room click here no fan so no chance of future failure.

By the way do you know whats telling you its going to fail? Reason I ask is I have the same board and wonder if its the BIOS telling you which if it is then may well be right or a program which might be completely wrong.

Kemistri 01:17 04 Feb 08

Even the BIOS can be wrong. My previous board's BIOS insisted that the CPU fan was not spinning, though it clearly was of course, so the temperature cut-off had to be disabled.

Kemistri 01:18 04 Feb 08

Fan fault cut-off, I mean. Obviously, the temp cut-off wouldn't be affected.

Totally-braindead 01:23 04 Feb 08

Thanks for that Kemistri I wasn't aware the BIOS could be wrong I thought that either it worked or the motherboard didn't work at all as its all integrated.

Quiet Life 13:29 04 Feb 08

Speed Fan downloadable from here will give you a lot of info. on all the fans and temperatures . It is free.
click here

Bonafide 20:19 10 Feb 08

It is the BIOS that tells me the fan has stopped. I have to press F1 during start up to ignore the message. It definitely is correct because I have opened the case and checked while the PC is on and the fan is not spinning. Thanks for the links Braindead, I will get the 2nd one because the space is limited. Also it has completely failed but it does not shut down the PC. (although I have had a couple of blue screens recently)

Sorry for late reply. My email was filing replies under junk for some unknown reason.

Totally-braindead 11:47 11 Feb 08

By the way I have the same board as you and my fan up to now has been fine but theres been tons of people had it fail on this board and that is why I would use the heatsink instead.

You have to strip the PC to fit the heatsink but you only have to do it the once as then theres no fan to fail. My last board drove me nuts as I had 3 Northbridge fans fail in about 3 years and with all the hassle replacing it I got rather annoyed. I replaced it with a heatsink and 3 years later its still going strong - I passed it on to a friend.

If my present board fan fails then it too will get a heatsink replacement, and while I have it apart I'll give it a good clean as well while I have the opportunity.

TopCat® 12:11 11 Feb 08

I have the Asus A8N-E revision2 motherboard and the same fan failed on that, even though a 'superior' fan fitted on that board was supposed to cure early failure. Fitting the replacement fan entailed removing the motherboard to get at its retainers. Not a hard job, but an inconvenience on what was, at the time, a fairly expensive board.

The replacement is currently running fine, but should I have future problems then I might try a fanless heatsink, as Totally-braindead suggests. TC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos