External USB hardrives

VNAM75 20:45 17 Aug 08

I want to get one to use to backup my hardrive and for extra storage on my laptop. Can they be plugged in and out and used between a pc and laptop like usb pen drives and are they portable? How quick are the data transfer speeds compared to an internal hard drive?

I've got my heart set on this one:

click here

I don't need more than 500gb, does anyone have any other recommendations?

chub_tor 21:17 17 Aug 08

The hard drive you have selected is USB2 and so is hot swappable just like a pen drive - just don't unplug it while data is being transferred. Speed of transfer is less than betweenn internal SATA drives but is adequately fast (at least mine is which is similar to the one you have your heart set on).

ebuyer spec is...

Interface Type Hi-Speed USB
Data Transfer Rate 480 Mbps

VNAM75 21:34 17 Aug 08

Thanks. If it works like a pen drive then its ideal. Theres a western digital model too at ebuyer (click here), same price, same 500gb but has 16mb cache compared to 8mb for the seagate above. Is it worth going for the western digital, I much prefer the design of the seagate.

GaT7 21:36 17 Aug 08

More external 500GB ones starting at £50 click here.

Or, for around the same price as the one you're getting, a 640Gb HDD click here combined with a separate external enclosure click here or click here. Or 500Gb drives if you prefer it over the 640Gb one click here. G

VNAM75 21:54 17 Aug 08

Some good choices there, thanks. The Formac one looks good, pity theres no reviews.

GaT7 22:06 17 Aug 08

More on Amazon click here. G

VNAM75 22:37 17 Aug 08

Thanks Crossbow. Amazon is £10 cheaper for the Seagate.

Notice that Amazon includes negative buyer comments and ebuyer does not.

GaT7 23:19 17 Aug 08

That's because eBuyer 'vet' customer reviews - but things are supposed to be changing click here. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now