External USB hard drive

mullet 19:30 30 Mar 05

I've bought a usb 80gb external harddrive as a back up. But when I plug it in , I get the message "this device is malfunctioning or windows does not recognise this device". Yet when plugged into the computer at the shop i got it from.... its fine.

I've tried pluggin it in to all of my usb ports which do work and the windows trouble shoot doesnt fix it either.

Do i need to alter the disk management on my pc ?

iscanut2 19:35 30 Mar 05

I am no expert, but I plugged in a Maxtor USB external drive and did not need to do anything at all to get it working. All I did was to reformat it from FAT32 to NTFS. It should work without problems as you have seen in the shop. Sorry I cannot be more helpful !

mullet 19:39 30 Mar 05

I meant to put this post in the help forum oops, but thanks for the reply. How does one reformat from fat32 to ntfs?

TomJerry 22:10 30 Mar 05

normally, you need to connect usb first and then switch this thing on second

Brian-336451 10:23 31 Mar 05

Which operating system are you using, many people assume windows XP but as the song goes 'it ain't necessarily so'?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…