external hdd set up

madferrit 10:59 07 Apr 05

hi all i am buying a external hdd coz i have run out of memory how easy is it to set up and trasnsfer files etc i will be mostley using it to store mp3 files for my itunes any advise you can give will be apriciated

Al94 11:23 07 Apr 05

Presume you mean running out of space on your hard drive as opposed to memory. If you have XP, an external hard drive is simply plug & play and will appear as an additional drive in My Computer. Simply use "send to" or drag and drop. You will need USB 2 for satisfactory transfer rates.

byfordr 15:14 07 Apr 05

I've found firewire even better...but USB2 is the minimum you should be looking at. A shade over £100 for a 250gb USB2 Maxtor, Lacie or similiar external About £130 for a 250gb USB2 & Firewire Maxtor, Lacie or similiar external

madferrit 22:27 07 Apr 05

i have seen a fujitsu 2.5" 80gb 2.0 usb laptop
ex hdd for £60 on ebay brand new they are very small and look cool they say it works on either a pc or lap top, i am getting rid of my very old pc after christmas and buying a laptop instead i thought i might get one of these, can anyone tell me if they are any good

TomJerry 23:12 07 Apr 05

no power supplier is needed, just connect to usb and it will be recognised automatically in 2k and XP, but I would not buy something as important as this on Ebay personally. reliablity is the most important thing for HDD

madferrit 09:23 08 Apr 05

cheers for the advice the seller says it comes with 3 yr warranty and support take a look on ebay tell me what you think item no 5183608711

anniel 14:31 08 Apr 05

about external HDD. I am going to buy one..I have the necessary USB ports and have XP home.

I do have plenty of room on my PC and two separate Drives.

But like an idiot I have put my music on the second drive, plus a few prorammes and I understand that in order to back up stuff you need a separate partition and the thought of trying to create one makes me feel sick, given my lack of tech ability.

I thought to but Acronis True image plus an external HDD.

Really,as I am just a home user with no important stuff to save, except my music (12GB), a couple of progs I have bought plus my address book, maybe I am going over the top.

Can I have your opinions?

TomJerry 16:06 08 Apr 05

just pickup one at your price point, they are very standard stuff now, for example

Maxtor One Touch 80GB USB 2.0 7200rpm 2mb Cache- External Retail £69.27 click here

Western Digital Hdd 120gb Usb2.0 Uk-plug - 7200rpm 2mb Cache £76.70 click here

you do not need true image unless you want to backup your operating system (i.e.windows)

if you want ultra portable

Western Digital 2.5" Passport 40gb Portable Drive - Usb2 5400rpm 5.5ms 2mb Cache £81.13 click here

TomJerry 16:09 08 Apr 05

I do not buy from Ebay personally.

A 2.5" 80GB HDD costs £70 and an external enclosure box cost £10, so do not bid over £80

madferrit 16:34 08 Apr 05

cheers tomjerry will do, i'm gonna try and get if for less than 80quid if i can, i'll let you know how i get on not bidding on it yet got to wait for pay day next week

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…