External HDD advice needed

urban gorilla 16:32 18 Oct 08

Hi my 80GB HDD is filling up and i need extra space. I need advice from those who are currently using one with their laptop.
I've done a search on Google and have been confused by the information i've come across ie get one with eSATA ?? as the USB2 one is too slow.
My laptop's OS is Vista basic.
I'm looking for 1TB HDD.
I need fast transfer rate.
It has to be quiet when being used.
It needs to be reliable and value for money.
Any reccomendations?
Thanks.

bremner 16:48 18 Oct 08

Does your laptop have an eSATA connection?

urban gorilla 16:52 18 Oct 08

I thinks so. It's an Acer Aspire 5315 and recently purchased. Don't all laptops come with this as standard?
How do i check?

bremner 17:04 18 Oct 08

From click here

It states your I/O Interfaces are:

1x ExpressCard™/54 slot
3x USB 2.0 ports
1x external display (VGA) port
1x S-video/TV-out (NTSC/PAL) port
1x Headphone/speaker/line-out jack
1x Microphone-in jack
1x Ethernet (RJ-45) port
1x Modem (RJ-11) port
1x DC-in jack for AC adapter

No eSATA - this is no surprise as I have yet to actually see a laptop with this built in yet.

I have a PC card that enables me to connect eSATA to my Macs

urban gorilla 17:15 18 Oct 08

Thanks for that.
i guess i'm going to have to stick with a usb2 connection then.
Would you know which is a better make/model?

bremner 17:18 18 Oct 08

All much of a muchness - Seagate, Western Digital, Maxtor, Freecom, Lacie

Chas49 17:41 18 Oct 08

I've had a 250 gig Lacie Porsche designed external hard disk for over two years - no bothers with it at all. It is connected to the one of the USB 2 sockets and is quite quick enough. These externals are now much cheaper than they were and I wouldn't hesitate to buy Lacie again when and if the need arises. Hope this helps.

urban gorilla 18:44 18 Oct 08

Thanks for your response.

Before choosing one I need find one that will give me fast transfer rates as i have a lot of video files 400-500MB in size (camcorder films which i plan to edit at a later date). I've read that doing it over usb2 can take a long time.

As I don't have an eSATA port on my laptop I have searched the net for a solution and have found a usb2 to eSATA adaptor,see
click here

Does anyone know that by using this adaptor it will give me the stated eSATA transfer speeds or will i just get the USB2 speeds?

I am Spartacus 19:04 18 Oct 08

The adapter will run at USB 2.0 speeds so unless you plan on getting an external drive with an eSATA port and a PC later with an eSATA port then it's a waste of money.

I am Spartacus 19:09 18 Oct 08

If you want to get an eSATA drive then something like click here is what you need. You may find cheaper if you search around a bit.

urban gorilla 20:46 18 Oct 08

Thanks Spartacus.
The card is the same price as the adaptor and seems like the answer i was looking for.
That's half my problem solved...
now to find the ideal 1TB external HDD with eSATA and has to be Vista compitible and plug & play. Sorry i'm not a techie and don't want to search for drivers etc.
Anybody know of any good sites to buy from?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…