An external harddisk that is not noicy

sverremac 15:11 20 Jul 06

I am looking for a cheap external harddisk that works quiet. My buy, a LaCie, which I am going to return, is NOT. Can anyone tell me if Pixmania hardisks is working well, or any else?

thank you!

grumpygramp 15:29 20 Jul 06

I have a Maxtor External HD which is completely silent .

pj123 15:34 20 Jul 06

Get yourself one of these units. I have one and you can then connect any 3.5 HDD or 2.5 HDD or even a CD/DVD drive.

I have an 80gb Maxtor plugged in at the moment and it is completely silent.

click here

HondaMan 16:16 20 Jul 06

I ahve 2X 300GB Maxtors in a Netgear housing, and apart from a very very slight whine when starting they are completely silent.

Starfox 16:40 20 Jul 06

Surprised that your Lacie h/d is noisy unless it is one of the older ones. Mine makes no noise at all.

click here

These Toshiba h/d's are exceptionally quiet.

sverremac 16:48 20 Jul 06

My lacie came with no foot, it's laying flat on the table, and the whole table is shaking with it. I've learned other Lacies are standing. One of my tables has metal under it, and was is singing with the harddisk. My other table of wood, sounded more like a boat.

Interesting with the Toshiba. But I plan now to deliver the LaCie in one shop, and go straight over to another shop and by the Maxtor 250 Gb,

wee eddie 17:30 20 Jul 06

Stick it on your Mouse Mat for a couple of moments and see how that affects the amount of noise it makes

sverremac 18:27 20 Jul 06

I had it on the top of all the soft stuff it came in. It helped, but was not the good solution.

I am just back from town, has returned the Lacie, and got my money back. The shop next door was emty for the maxtor I was looking for.

Now I am interested to hear about other hd's that works quiet. I still wonder if anyone has tried the Pixmania.

georgemac © 19:30 20 Jul 06

I bought an external usb hard drive caddy, and fitted a samsung ide hard drive, as I know the samsung drives are quiet.

It does not have a cooling fan, so is very quiet but can get quite hot when working hard.

Starfox, I would not have that product personally, I would prefer the drive to be in a housing so the PCB is protected from fingers and static when the unit is being moved around.

georgemac © 19:34 20 Jul 06

sorry starfox, I mean the product posted in the link by pj123, not the toshiba unit you have linked

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…