external hard drives on more than one computer

CMC 42 15:48 12 Aug 05

I've seen a tempting offer in the new staples catalogue for an 80gb external hard drive.

My question is: Can it be used on more than one computer?

I have an hp pavilion mx70 desktop computer and an Acer Travelmate.

The Hp is nearly out of hard drive space, but I am likely to need a hard drive for my laptop. Is it possible to use it on both? It would also make life a lot easier for transfering files as I wouldn't have to keep on putting files on my USB flash drive (which for some reason my HP computer stopped recognising today).

Thanks for your help

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:58 12 Aug 05

You can use it on any computer....just plug it in and it will be recognised as an external HD.

G

bfoc 16:01 12 Aug 05

A USB 2 external hard drive and it is used on both my desktop and my laptop with no problems.

I even have used it on other peoples computers when setting up a new machine for them and transferring their data.

It might be of course that if it has an 'automatic' backup program (as my Maxtor one touch does) that this won't be so easy to set up on more than one machine, but the hard drive should work OK.

If you have Win XP it should automatically recognise a USB 2 drive without any need to install drivers.

CMC 42 16:02 12 Aug 05

Thanks! I thought it should work - I just wanted to check.

I take it Western Digital are a good firm? (Have had a look at some of the reviews on amazon for the larger models).

And is £49.99 a good price for an 80gb external hard drive?

CMC 42 16:04 12 Aug 05

bfoc - yes I do have XP, on both computers in fact.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…