//some 3rd party need geo

External Hard drives

msmop 20:25 12 Apr 03

I am looking to buy an external Hard drive for my daughter for her birthday. Does anyone have any suggestions of what to look for and any pitfalls? Her PC only has about 8GB and 64MB RAM and there is little storage space. Thanks

Kyomii 05:01 13 Apr 03

Any reason why you want external?, as these are more expensive than internal - however, they do have the advantage of portability.

I haven't any direct experience with external hard drives, I guess its very much like the internal choice and down to personal preference.

Do a search via google for more information - many of them seem to be firewire or USB 2.0 - neither of which may not be suitable for your daughters machine, unless she has firewire access or USB 2.0 ports.

If not, you need to be looking at the USB 1.1 versions. Another thing to consider, is the hard drive needed for program installations, or because your daughter has many saved files and data?

If its the latter, then a CDRW may be the cheaper and better option. She could then back up her files to disk and delete them off her computer to recouperate disk space.

I hope you find what you want, and happy birthday to your daughter :)

msmop 09:00 13 Apr 03

Thanks for your advice. I shall take a look see what's available

Janet

Diemmess 20:26 14 Apr 03

The specification of your daughter's computer is minimal by today's standards so I am sure your only sensible choice is to fit or have fitted an extra hard disk inside the computer.

A local computer shop will do it for you very cheaply, if you don't want to tackle it yourself,

Even including labour the final cost will be less than an external disk, and the USB connection is much slower.

Lead 06:36 15 Apr 03

I'm currently considering one of these:

click here

But like already mentioned above, if your PC is on the old side, you may not be able to take advantage of it due to the connections required.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…