external hard drives

morkin 13:24 26 Jul 04

I am considering buying an external hard drive. I only have USB1 capability and certainly no firewire. CPU 1800 Mhz and 512 RAM

Would an external hard drive be quick enough to store and access games from ?

Also can anyone recommend a drive- if quick enough that is?.

byfordr 15:26 26 Jul 04

My advice to you - don't bother!

click here

About £15 for a combined usb2 and firewire card even less for just a firewire one.

My findings with external drives.

usb zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
usb2 fast but a real resource hogger
firewire a little slower than usb2 but doesn't hog the resources.

byfordr 15:28 26 Jul 04

click here £155 for Maxtor 250gb firewire and USB2 (and slow usb 1.1)

£130 Lacie 250gb usb2 or firewire only.

Would say the Maxtor is the best you can get at the moment.

Not tried the Western digital but don't think the price premium is worth the extra. (£185 for 250gb)

Diemmess 16:54 26 Jul 04

If you want to run games, and they are your prioity, think of a way to add to your internal HD. Forget the external ones, because even with USB 2 they are not as quick, and with USB 1 they are pedestrian.

If you can fit a good, extra, internal HD, it will be far the best route and save you lots of money.

TomJerry 20:53 26 Jul 04

Almost all games run happily with CD/DVD. Any HDD (in or ex) will beat CD/DVD for speed (not usb 1 ex hdd of course).

There are some scientific comparision proved that ex (usb2 or firewire) is almost as fast as in for the same HDD with correct connectors. Not much difference between usb 2 and firewire.

You can get a fast internal HDD you like and get an external enclosure box click here, put it in.

For true portable solution , get an external 2.5" HDD (laptop HDD) which powered by usb connection. The speed is not as fast as 3.5" version, but you can carry everywhere in your shirt pocket and faster than CD/DVD.

Carafaraday 11:39 27 Jul 04

The hard drive from my old pc is currently attached internally to my son's pc. Is there any way I can attach it to my new pc (still under warranty) by USB2 or firewire? I don't want to open up the new pc and invalidate the warranty but would be interested to know whether a system of connections would make an external connection possible.

TomJerry 11:51 27 Jul 04

You can find a lot to chose from the web site I linked on above post. If you want a cheap Firewire one (£13), I will find like for you next post.

TomJerry 11:57 27 Jul 04

Firewire version: Microsol 3.5" IEEE 1394a Portable HD Enclosure Box in Silver £16.04 click here

Firewire and USB2 comb version: Microsol 3.5" Portable HD Box Combo USB 2.0 + IEEE 1394a in Silver £23.46 click here

They are cheap, but look really cheap. Better to check click here or click here if you want nice looking ones.

byfordr 11:59 27 Jul 04

Or you could link up the pcs with crossover (assuming you have 2 network cards) click here

click here USB2 enclosure in aluminium £13

Carafaraday 12:06 27 Jul 04

Thanks for your very rapid responses - is it really as simple as that - just buy a box and plug everything in? I know that the old drive is set to slave - anything else I should know?

Once everything is attached would it be possible to reformat the drive which currently runs Windows 98SE, and just use the drive for storage - ie digital pics, data files etc?

TomJerry 13:38 27 Jul 04

(1) Set HDD as master (2) Connect data cable and power cable (3) Screw HDD to fix and screw box back together.

For 98SE, you need to install drive software. For any usb device, install software before connection (important). XP and 2K do not need to install driver software.

Use the same way as an internal drive, format etc. Appear as a normal internal drive to the system.

You need usb2 or firewire to use full potential. Usb 1 will work, but slow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…