External hard driver HELP

pcplonker 16:45 04 Dec 04

Would it be possable to use a computer with a smaller built in hard drive to store my normal files I.E word powerpoint ect and then use a external device to store my music. Would it play stright from the external hard drive or would i have to kepp loading on what i want like a floppy disc. thanks

bremner 17:08 04 Dec 04

Plugged in it would be seen just as if it were an internal drive

jack 17:13 04 Dec 04

External HDD are now days USB
If you are ME/2000/XP just plugs in and shows in my computer as another drive

Win98se will need a driver
Earlier sys [95/98] are a no no

Jarvo 20:00 04 Dec 04

I use an external drive (USB2)for my music and photos and can tell no difference in performance from the internal C drive. For the best preform ace right click your external drive in my computer, select properties and the hardware tab, select the drive again then click properties, then polices and select enable disk write cashing. This will help your disk run exactly like a internal drive but WARNING DO NOT UNPLUG OR POWER DOWN YOUR DRIVE WITHOUT EJECTING! otherwise you will have data corruption.

Jarvo

Dizzy Bob 20:49 04 Dec 04

If you are after one now, PC World have an offer on the Freecom 80GB External HDD, down to £59.99 in store and on the web.

Product code 458192 (use the search box on PCW Home Page with this code.

Hope this helps,

Dizzy

JYPX 18:47 05 Dec 04

Dizzy Bob - It certainly helped me. Got one today.
Many thanks for the tip!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…