External hard drive required

herrflick 10:08 08 Jan 11
Answered

Happy new year all,

My hard drive is almost full now and I am looking to buy an external HD for my PC.

My specs are:
AMD Athlon X3 425
4 GB Ram
Radeon HD 4670
Win 7

Anyone know what the best XHD for my PC would be?

Also, if I were to put all of my games on to the XHD would that effect performance?

Does it make a difference if I connect the XHD to the USB ports at the front or back of my base unit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Neil

ukpostcode 11:32 08 Jan 11

Just bought an External HDD USB powered 750GB for £59 from Maplins.
Also worth looking in Staples & PCWorld as all have sales on.
Or you could buy from Play.com or other Online companies.

HondaMan 11:40 08 Jan 11

Try dabs.com. They have Buffalo 500GB USB drives for less than £50. Just plug in and go, no external PSU required

HondaMan 11:43 08 Jan 11

Connection. No difference but more difficult to get to at the back unless you use something like click here

ICF 12:01 08 Jan 11

Argos have some good prices

click here

ICF 12:03 08 Jan 11

Or Ebuyer if you are prepared to wait for delivery
click here

john bunyan 12:08 08 Jan 11
Answer

With a desktop I would consider a removable, lockable SATA caddy with a normal HD of your choice. I have several with a) a 500 gig (for occasional clone backup) b) a 320 gig for Synch Toy or Freefilesynch mirror copies of all my data including eMail. c) Another 320 gig for stuff like old music and photos etc.
I also have an external USB Hd but the removable caddies are as quick as a built in HD.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…