External hard drive recommendations

Les T 20:34 14 Feb 08

Evening folks, i'm looking to buy an external hard drive to use both with my Dell Dimension 5000 desktop (running XP SP2) and my Acer Aspire 5720Z laptop (running Vista Home Premium). I would be glad of some recommendations, i would like to make a back up of both operating systems and of course to store some files e.g. video.
Advice will be most appreciated (make,size and price), oh, it would be an advantage if it was USB powered as opposed to an AC adapter.

Thanks in advance.

Les T

Kemistri 22:23 14 Feb 08

Freecom or Seagate.

See all the previous threads on this subject.

If you tell us whether you want 2.5" or 3.5", USB or e-SATA, or even a NAS, then we can come up with more specific suggestions.

Totally-braindead 22:29 14 Feb 08

Not keen on USB only powered ones myself as they can drag a bit of power and if you have a lot of other USB devices on your PC there is a possability of problems. Others may disagree but mines a mains one. Its meant to work off USB alone according to the instructions but it doesn't, I did try it and it wouldn't spin up, just not enough power I suppose.

Kemistri 22:31 14 Feb 08

Was a split two plug USB lead supplied, or just a conventional lead?

Totally-braindead 22:45 14 Feb 08

Kemistri I cannot recall and can't get at my external drive at the moment but I recall that it said in the instructions it could work off USB only. Mine I should have maybe said is made from an internal hard drive fitted in an enclosure. Don't know if that makes a difference or not. But it definately needs the external power as well.

Kemistri 22:59 14 Feb 08

Ah, yes -- that probably makes a difference. I haven't used an enclosure without a power adapter, but the pre-built 2.5" drives usually have split cables to provide enough juice.

Les T 17:11 15 Feb 08

Thanks for the replies, a USB powered drive would be desirable, what's the difference between a 2.5" and a 3.5" disc? (apart from physical size)

Kemistri 17:18 15 Feb 08

About 1800rpm.

click here

wjrt 18:27 15 Feb 08

selection here
click here

Totally-braindead 22:16 15 Feb 08

The 2.5" ones use laptop hard drives. Basically they are slower than the 3.5" ones.

click here
and use the free clone hd seagate software powered by acronis saving you 20 quid if you dont have it already.
This makes it exceptional value for money.
seagate software will work with both the pc and laptop as the external hd is seagate.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos